Two weeks in treatment and son sounds good

Old 05-05-2011, 03:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Two weeks in treatment and son sounds good

The first week was awful--he was heavily medicated and not making sense.

Second week he was tapered off Subutex, agitated, angry, panicky and exhausted.

Yesterday, we spoke on the phone and he sounds so GOOD. Says he's participating in prayer circles and other Native American rituals (this center is in S. Dakota and has a Native American element + 12-step). Says he realizes he can believe in God/HP as long as there is no "church" to it. <-- he is very hostile toward organized religion for several reasons, none of which have much to do with any personal experience.

He says drugs have been his higher power so he can see now that he is not in control.

He also said there is a "fresh batch of junkies" there, who are feeling much worse than he is--gratitude?!?!

He loves the other "inmates" (his words, lol) and the staff and the program.

I am hanging on to the joy and happiness of hearing my son sound contented and peaceful. Trying to be in the present and mindful. Trying not to worry about the future.

I haven't attended Alanon but as soon as the semester ends (I teach and am a full-time grad student, oy!) it is at the top of my list.

Thank you so much for being here.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I am so glad he is doing well and has opened his mind to a better path. The success of any recovery program is directly related to the willingness of the participant. Some people take several shots at this, but each time they pick up some valuable tools that will help them when they leave.

I know your happiness and your peace and my prayers go out for your son and his continued healing.

Whether he is native American or not (I am not yet find great wisdom in these meditations), this is a daily meditation thread that I enjoy reading. Perhaps you or he might enjoy them too.

Just google this and it should take you to the meditations.

whitebison.org elders meditation

Hugs
Old 05-05-2011, 04:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm glad he's doing well. The difference in our addicted loved ones when they are off drugs is nothing short of amazing.

Be patient and cautious, though, as this is just the beginning of the process. As Ann says, some people need to return to the beginning several times.

Sending positive energy your way.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I also love to talk and be near my son when he is sober. My prayers will be with your son that he can continue to walk a path of sobriety.

gentle hugs
ke