Triggers.....

Old 04-08-2011, 01:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Triggers.....

My niece INLAW and daughter have been staying with me because my nephew is verbally abusive (drug user maybe abuser and who knows... maybe addict - actions sure seem like it - either that or just straight sociopath). This scared young woman of what her future holds as a single parent(???) just might be.

It reminds me of myself in deep sickness of codependency!

All her family is thousands of miles away - she only has her family of 'inlaws' here. It's terrible going against my own family - but my great niece is my family. IDK - I'm just encouraging her to think of herself and their baby .... and in the mean time i'm a safe house for them.

Anywho - it just reminds me so much of my sickness and obviously how I still have it. (but showing up in different ways than with an ABF) Because all of that pain I was feeling surfaces..... even though I'm so far removed from it.

Today's Language of Letting Go - talks about it. Which was really quite comforting.

Anywho - I don't know - I pop in here from time to time to see what is going on.... it's still really hard to come in and post. PTSD - idk?

Co-dependency does show up in many forms - and I can see how quickly I can be (in all areas of my life) be encompassed with other people's issues instead of looking at my own. It's like my own escape and my life falls apart at the seams. I've caught this early on... I'm glad I have good resources.

I guess I just felt like sharing.

Peace and Love xoxo
Old 04-08-2011, 05:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Abundance,

Thank you for being a safe house for your niece and her baby.
I remember how lonely and alone I was here when my ex and I broke up, the only family here were my in-laws and they did not want to see my ex had a serious problem.

Maybe you could take your niece to some AlAnon meetings?

Beth
Old 04-08-2011, 06:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Codependents Anonymous and Families Anonymous are two more self help groups
Old 04-09-2011, 01:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Update

Thanks you guys-

He made some "promises" and she is back.

She knows she can always come back.
Old 04-09-2011, 03:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

We can`t force recovery on anyone, however sad their situation, but you are a good person to be there for her when she needed you.

Maybe print out some of the information in the For the Abused Woman thread at the top of this forum, and some helpline phone numbers for womens shelters in her area, not only for if she needs to leave in a hurry but also for resources that may help her too. Women`s shelters will offer good suggestions and resources even if you don`t stay there.

Keeping her in my prayers, Abundance.

Hugs