Help, just found many Vicodin pills in sister's drawer

Old 03-19-2011, 05:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help, just found many Vicodin pills in sister's drawer

I and my mom have just discovered around 8 Vicodin pills and 1 Xanax pill in a container in my sister's drawer. We are both incredibly mortified and have no idea how we should confront her, if we should inform the authorities, or if we should look for a drug rehabilitation program if she is addicted, but an addict would always deny their addiction so how would we go about this?

Please help.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Well .......................... first welcome to SR you have found a Great place with lots of Experience Strength and Hope (ES&H).

However, first we need a bit more info. How old is your sister? Is she an adult or a minor? What were you and your mom doing going through her drawers? Is this something new, or has she been involved with drugs before? Has she been to rehab before? etc

A little more info would be very helpful so we cannot only identify with your problem but those that have been in the same place will share their ES&H.

Love and hugs,
Old 03-19-2011, 05:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank You for the warm welcome.

She is 16 yrs old. I have no idea why my mom was going through her drawers, maybe a suspicion? She has had troubles with marijuana in the past (at least pot is all my parents found). She hasn't been taken to rehab before.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well, she is definately in trouble, but it's really up to your parents how to deal with it..you could go to alanon or alateen ..it would help you understand the situation more..and yes most of the time addicts deny it..especially young ones as they are still having fun and haven't had alot of bad consequences..
Old 03-19-2011, 06:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Depending where you live, 16 may be young enough for your parents to be able to have some impact on how this is handled.

I don't know if she is "approachable", but maybe having a family get together might help with a drug counselor present...sort of like an intervention but offering more support than ultimatum.

Al-anon, Nar-anon and Coda are three similar fellowships that have helped many of us deal with the addiction of a loved one, maybe give meetings a try. There is a group for teens also, if you are young and would be more comfortable there.

I am glad you joined us here. Hopefully you will find some support from people who have been where you are.

Hugs
Old 03-19-2011, 07:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm sorry you're going through this. It does sound like your sister is in trouble. Maybe your parents should check with their health insurance to see if she can be evaluated for substance abuse treatment. For you and your parents, Al-Anon and SR are good places for support. I'll pray for your family.