The strange way things work

Old 02-08-2011, 11:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
The sun still shines

The strange way things work

I asked my son to leave 11 months ago after discovering he was growing magic mushrooms in large qtys in his outside room. It was very ugly and we both said some very hurtful things.

I didn't have any further contact with him, apart from my initial folly to send him excerpts from this site and sending him a text on his birthday.

Yesterday morning I went for breakfast with a good friend whose daughter was also an addict, tried to commit suicide, but has now been clean for about 6 months. She was telling me that she prayed every day and that she still prays, but it is now prayers of gratitude. On the way home I said a fervent prayer for our family and its healing.

Lo and behold, yesterday pm my son texted me to ask me if I could take care of his cat as he is moving and can't keep her. He sent another polite, respectful text. It was so incredibly wonderful to hear from him again after 11 months!!!!!!

I am in a very different place now than I was 11 months ago, thanks to this forum. I am looking forward to interacting with my son in a respectful manner with firm boundaries in place. In the past I honestly did not treat him with the respect he deserves. I was out to fix and control him and insult him if he didn't do what I wanted him to do.

I will keep on praying that this is a new beginning for our relationship and continue to pray for his well-being.

I just wanted to share.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
it is what it is

i also have an AS - years ago when he was 5-6 years old he gave me a little heart that says "Prayer Changes Things" - i have always prayed for my children but during this time of addiction prayers for this son have been on turbo - it was so good to hear your testimony of the power in this special privilege we have been provided through grace
Old 02-09-2011, 05:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for the update on you, wheredoiturn. Well, now you do know where to turn, don't you?

Yes, prayers for my AS are in turbo-mode. Just this morning I woke up 30 minutes before the alarm and had a little voice say, "Well, since you are awake, pray for your son!" And I did.

This site and Al-Anon have done wonders for me. I am so grateful, even for the nasty posts. They have all made me more compassionate and willing to be kind - even to my AS.

Keep updating us on your relationship with your son!