Question about Cousin and her Children

Old 12-10-2010, 06:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
bt1978

Question about Cousin and her Children

A question for some suggestions. My first cousin and her husband have left their two young daughters (ages 5 and 9) with her husband's mother and taken their seven-month-old son and are 'couch surfing'. Our family (including their parents) suspect they are using drugs (possibly black-tar heroin among other things). My cousin has lost her job and the familiy's apartment. She saw the family (parents and brother) on Thanksgiving but left her girls again and took the baby. It has been very difficult to contact her (and her mother-in-law who is watching the girls is definitely an enabler and her parents have said some things to her but seem afraid to take greater action...for fear of losing contact with her and her being angry at them).

My sister and I live 3000 miles away but want to do something. I am concerned for my cousin and her husband...but above all, I am concerned for the effect all of this is having on the children. I realize that the two girls are better off with their grandmother (despite her enabling), but I am still concerned about the long-term issues this will cause. And especially, concerned for the baby that they have in tow (and the situations he may be in).

Any advice or perspective would be helpful.

Thanks
Old 12-10-2010, 02:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

bt
I'm sure it's difficult hearing about this when you are so very far away. I have no specific advice or experience to share with you. I would be very concerned about that little one too if they are indeed using heroin. I wonder why they would leave the two older children with the grandparent but not the little one. Perhaps a family meeting would be in order? If the parents are not making appropriate decisions regarding their offspring, perhaps the family should intervene?

I'm so sorry that your family is dealing with this issue. It's very difficult and takes a toll on everyone.
gentle hugs
Old 12-10-2010, 05:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I would call Child Services and have them check this out. They may not discuss what they find with you but the will ensure the children are safe.

Keeping these children in my prayers.

Hugs
Old 12-11-2010, 04:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
it is what it is

such a difficult situation - i agree with ann - let the professionals check out the situation and make sure the children are safe - when that has been seen to then you can decide what to do about the rest -