Drug Addicted Sister

Old 07-16-2010, 11:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drug Addicted Sister

I am the sister of a drug addicted teenager. My sister has always lived a comfortable life. Her father has enabled her in every way necessary and refuses to get her help. I would really appreciate if anyone could give me some advice on what to do.

My sister is 16 years old. I suspect that she has been taking drugs since the age of 14. It was only until about a year ago that it became very apparent. She had begun experimenting with pot. Which, as a teenager is a normal thing to do. But she revealed later that she has also tried, shrooms, acid, ecstasy, and a lot of prescription drugs. She somehow convinced my father to buy her xanax pills. Which she abused. Still not sure if she mixed that with other drugs or alcohol. Her speech was slurred and she started cussing everyone out. She threw things and broke things. And also tried to hit people. Also, she has drank many times when doing the drugs. Once resulting in her being in bed for about 4 days, going between throwing up and sleeping. She goes through intense mood swings. From one second being happy to the next taking something and throwing it at you. Whenever she goes out she steals, even though she has everything that she needs.

My father refuses to accept that she has a problem. Whenever she comes home she sprays herself with all kinds of perfumes. Her eyes are bloodshot and sag down. She also immediately goes to sleep or takes a shower and sleeps and throws her clothes in the laundry machine. She has been caught by the police and her schools because of drugs. She was then expelled from her high school and enrolled in a private school. She was at one point dealing drugswith her ex-boyfriend. She is adept at lying and is very good at convincing officers that she has done nothing wrong.

She is in a downwards spiral that isn't stopping. For about 2-3 weeks she stops taking drugs. Then goes out one night and comes back high. This has been repeating for months. However, the time span she takes off drugs keeps getting smaller and smaller. Could someone please give me some advice on what to do. And how to help her.

My parents have been threatening a divorce because of their disagreements on what to do with her.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

((Defeatedsis))) - Welcome to SR, though I am so sorry for what brought you here.

I'm an RA (recovering addict) and I also have loved ones who are A's (addicts). I can't say, for sure, whether your sister is "addicted", but her behavior is certainly worrisome and I think she's at high risk for becoming an addict, if not already.

I highly recommend reading posts throughout this forum. There are many sisters, brothers, parents, etc. who have been or are going through something similar. This is what I did, when I first came here and was worrying myself sick over my loved ones.

Knowing what others went through, what they did, what worked, what didn't work, etc. has been invaluable to me.

I'm glad you are here, and am sure others will be along soon with their ES&H (experience, strength and hope), though it's a little slow on weekends.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy