helping each other stay sober

Old 05-01-2010, 06:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

helping each other stay sober

I was talking to a friend yesterday (ok, the xabf, but that's not the point) and he was talking about an experience with a group he attends. He threw in "like that website that you go to all the time" I said "soberrecovery" he said "yeah, where you all help each other out".

Then I said, "I was thinking about S/R today, and had a light bulb moment: I had a flash of the scene from the Lois W. movie, where she and Bill were sitting and talking. Bill was trying to do 12th-step work and was feeling dissapointed that none of "the drunks" he was reaching out to seemed to hear what he was saying. But then he had a moment! Then he said to her that doing it, going and talking to other drunks, was helping to keep HIM sober. I suddenly made the connection and realized, that visiting S/R is largely about reaching out andhelping others, and THAT ACT is helping keep me on the right path as well."

I don't know if this is obvious to you other smarties out there, and I couldn't find a way to say it to express how "Aha!" it was to me, but it was very cool.

Again, a thousand times, Thanks
Old 05-01-2010, 07:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by coffeedrinker View Post
I was talking to a friend yesterday (ok, the xabf, but that's not the point) and he was talking about an experience with a group he attends. He threw in "like that website that you go to all the time" I said "soberrecovery" he said "yeah, where you all help each other out".

Then I said, "I was thinking about S/R today, and had a light bulb moment: I had a flash of the scene from the Lois W. movie, where she and Bill were sitting and talking. Bill was trying to do 12th-step work and was feeling dissapointed that none of "the drunks" he was reaching out to seemed to hear what he was saying. But then he had a moment! Then he said to her that doing it, going and talking to other drunks, was helping to keep HIM sober. I suddenly made the connection and realized, that visiting S/R is largely about reaching out andhelping others, and THAT ACT is helping keep me on the right path as well."

I don't know if this is obvious to you other smarties out there, and I couldn't find a way to say it to express how "Aha!" it was to me, but it was very cool.

Again, a thousand times, Thanks

Yep..yep... right on! Even tho I'm divorced... that is EXACTLY why I stick around... I don't want to repeat my mistakes...

This grasshopper...er....Hammerhead has much more to learn about the "right path" too
Old 05-01-2010, 08:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Been here about 1 yr and 3 mos.
Took almost 7 mos of that time but I left my XABF.
There are times I think my journey here is over then there's a moment where I'm triggered to feel past hurt. I come back here and read a story and share my own in return. Through that I am renewed and feel the better for it.

I think you have found the gift of giving of yourself in recovery Bravo!!

Alice
Old 05-01-2010, 09:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

It is also true that When we sponsor someone, we get as much as we give.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

i am finding this forum to be an incredible resource. I am so grateful to everyone who is here, who has shared, given and accepted support. this forum is part of my recovery, i told my therapist about it.

what struck me most about bill w's "aha" moment when he knew he needed "to talk to another drunk" is the power of people. I thought bout my whatever-he-is-to-me and how he isolates, and how recovery and health really require the opposite of that behavior.

but then i thought beyond my whatever-he-is-to-me.

it's the power of people, of sharing, similar experiences. and since we can't sit in the same room together, this forum is satisfying part of that for me. i feel connected to many of you already and in feeling that, i am reconnecting with myself and learning about what i want, what i need, what i'm doing, and.......so much more.

with gratitude....
Old 05-03-2010, 12:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm so grateful you guys are here.

I have belonged to other internet groups related to my hobby for years. I've met many of the people from those groups in real life over the years and always felt right at home with thier easily given help or advice about my hobby. Why wouldn't I feel comfortable here?

I just thank you for coming back, after whatever crisis may have brought you here is resolved, to share.

cb