OT: Anyone here heard of K2?

Old 05-01-2010, 09:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OT: Anyone here heard of K2?

People from around the Kansas City area are coming to Lawrence to buy a legal drug called K2 that gets them as high as marijuana, according to area police.

Tom Erickson, a deputy sheriff for the Johnson County Sheriff’s office, said the office was one of the first to become aware of the drug. They said they first heard about it through criminals released on parole or probation who were using the smokable herb to circumvent the random drug testing process. Erickson said police studied the herb’s chemical makeup, which looks and burns like marijuana, and interviewed a number of people who have used the drug.
Drug remains legal despite concerns | Kansan.com

... our local TV News is going to run a story on Monday about the abuse of K2... I hadn't heard about it before now...

If it's not one thing... it's another.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yep - we had some kids who smoked it and had "brain swelling". They are trying to illegalize it, but it's actually sold as some type of incense or something but kids have found that they can smoke it and get high. There was a post, here, about it a while back...that's when I looked it up and found the news article.

I've discovered kids will try just about anything...cold medicine, incense...whatever. It's sad.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 05-01-2010, 11:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Impurrfect View Post
Yep - we had some kids who smoked it and had "brain swelling". They are trying to illegalize it, but it's actually sold as some type of incense or something but kids have found that they can smoke it and get high. There was a post, here, about it a while back...that's when I looked it up and found the news article.

I've discovered kids will try just about anything...cold medicine, incense...whatever. It's sad.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy

Kinda like the warning labels on some packages... they are there for a reason... because someone DID try it. Yikes! "Brain swelling"... I'm sure is a small disclaimer at the bottom of the K2 package (eyes rolling).
Old 05-01-2010, 04:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's some kind of designer drug. Here is some more information about it from MSNBC:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35444158
Old 05-01-2010, 04:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

It kills, just like any other drug can. Sometimes it's called synthetic marajuana, but there is nothing synthetic about the deaths it has caused and serious injuries it has inflicted.

Bad stuff, most abused drugs are.

Anthony Scalzo, M.D., a toxicologist from Saint Louis University, is warning parents about the dangers of K2, an unregulated (and therefore legal) mixture of dried herbs that is circulating among teenagers. The mixture is often referred to as "fake weed."

Dr. Scalzo's warnings were featured in a March 3 ScienceDaily article:

"K2 may be a mixture of herbal and spice plant products, but it is sprayed with a potent psychotropic drug and likely contaminated with an unknown toxic substance that is causing many adverse effects. These toxic chemicals are neither natural nor safe," said Scalzo, who also directs the Missouri Regional Poison Control Center at SSM Cardinal Glennon Children's Medical Center.

What makes K2 so dangerous? Further testing is needed, but Scalzo says the symptoms, such as fast heart beat, dangerously elevated blood pressure, pale skin and vomiting suggest that K2 is affecting the cardiovascular system of users.

It also is believed to affect the central nervous system, causing severe, potentially life-threatening hallucinations and, in some cases, seizures.
Old 05-01-2010, 05:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The MSNBC article states:

There is no data on the drug's toxicity or how long it stays in the body. In mice, it can lead to a lower body temperature, partial paralysis and the temporary inability to feel pain, according to the DEA.
I guess the temporary inability to feel pain... must be the draw...

I just shake my head knowing there's nothing I can do about it...

The fact that it's being manufactured in China... really gets my goat... it wasn't too long ago they provided us with contaminated pet food and lead in our toys. The Chinese currently provides the States with the Fluoride that is treating over 75% of our water treatment systems... it doesn't dissolve... and it's now being questioned that it's contaminated!

I know, I know...

I didn't cause it
I can't control it
I can't cure it

I think I'll move to a mountain top... geez