Following through, knot in stomach

Old 04-05-2010, 05:12 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

In 2006, when my XAH was going down hill, I made some postings here on SR that really helped me get my thoughts together. I was the one living in limbo back then. I want to quote a few lines from my own experience.

Each time he would have a bad spell and go one step deeper into addiction, I would understand and forgive and move my boundary one step deeper too. It happened so gradually that I really didn't notice it. I had forgiven so many times. I had moved my boundary so many times. I had learned to love "in spite of" so many times that one day I woke up and noticed that my love had, indeed, turned to hatred, but it wasn't him that I hated.........it was me!

By constantly thinking that if I "just tried harder" I could overcome each obstacle that addiction put in the way of respect and trust, I ended up bending every rule I believed in, putting up with things that disgusted and humiliated me, and living in absolute gut-wrenching fear. And I called it love!

I have long since forgiven my husband for his inability to break free from the only thing that has ever made him feel good. It is me that I have to learn to forgive. It is me that I need to learn to love again. It is my dignity that is on the line here, not his. I am fighting for my life.

That is why I have had to search my motives so thoroughly. That is why I have had to finally set my boundary and stick to it. That is why I finally had to turn my sights inward and take care of me regardless of how he perceived it....because I had degraded myself more in the name of love and forgiveness than he had in the name of drugs.

4 years ago, I was living as you are living. Still holding on. Still hoping. Still needing him.

My going through all that did not change him at all.......it only changed ME!

Babs