Crack..alcohol..now "pills"...?

Old 03-11-2010, 11:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Crack..alcohol..now "pills"...?

hi everyone........question....i think my question is a bit naiive but is addiction to 'pills' meds, as brutal as crack and or alchol? do you guys think all of these go hand in hand? many times i have read...the alcoholic turns to drugs or pills or vice versa? seems like once addicted to one of these the others ...come into succession......is it becuase the high is lost on a certain one or combined they work more powerfully...

reason i ask is ..my x addict was..is crack addict..and apparently he is into 'booze and pills now"

thank you all...so hurting...
Old 03-11-2010, 11:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't know about the progression of addiction in what leads to what but usually one thing can lead to another. My exabf first started out pot then went to harder drugs which were used "socially" as he claimed but it was to pills eventually and then heroin. When I met him (though I didn't know it at the time) he was using both heroin and pills...at the end of our relationship (he went to jail last month) he was apparently using heroin and crack. He said he would use crack until he got to a place to shoot up, *sigh* the things we learn through anothers addiction...Someone else I know through a friend of mine is addicted to pills and yes with both people that I know, yes it is bad. Addiction is addiction and it is progressive so that may mean they start doing more drugs of different variety or just more of their one particular drug of choice. I am by far no expert on the subject but from what I have seen with my the one person who only uses pills and my exabf, they have both had similar patterns of behavior especially the lying, stealing, trouble with the law, etc. I am sure others will be along to offer their thoughts on the matter but I just wanted to answer your post in that yes, they can go hand in hand and they all can be just as bad as the other. Take care
Old 03-11-2010, 11:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes. Addiction is addiction is opiates is benzos is stimulants is depressants is crack is heroin is alcohol is progressive is deadly. They are all different modes of getting high and escaping from reality, but in the end the result is the same.

Active addiction leads to one of three endings: Jails, Institution or Death.

Pick your poison.

Let go or be dragged.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My experience with my exAB was availability. When he had the money, it was the coke. Alcohol of course daily....and when he came back with no money, he found my prescription meds and helped himself to those. (with the booze) I've learned that addiction is addiction when you are dealing with substances. I'm not sure if the high is the same, but it's still a "high". He continued to self medicate. I assumed he was taking his anti-depressants and cautioned him about the alcohol etc; I only just found out that he wasn't taking them at all and admitted to me that he still is not on them......makes me think it's only a matter of time before he falls again. You can't "will" away a chemical imbalance, nor can you try to understand an addict......and that is why I am single now. :-) and doing well.

Last edited by ladyhawk69; 03-11-2010 at 03:33 PM. Reason: content
Old 03-11-2010, 03:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

ladyhawk ...wow that so makes sense..about availability and $ ...apparently he has a 'connection' a woman he sleeps with every few wks that has access to pills!!!!!!!!!! he always loved his booze.. and when he had money it all went to crack.....

thank you.all..this does clear it up for me..bottom line addiction is addiction ..