Long Time for Me...Too

Old 02-12-2010, 11:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Long Time for Me...Too

I haven't been around either in a while. I've gone on with my life and am trying to do the best I can. I was diagnosed with a heart condition and kidney failure last year and have been learning how to live a new life. Several months ago, my ex started calling me. His 10 month marriage fell apart and he said he wanted to start over. We have been talking back and forth for 3 months now. He said he wanted to come here and start a new life without drugs, but then changed his mind. A month ago he asked me to come back to PA. I said I can't do that. I can't leave the good life I've built to go back to the gutter he now lives in. I was going back to visit at the prodding of my therapist. (He thinks I need to see once and for all what I want to do about this man...closure) He suddenly disappeared the last 2 weeks and I got a call last night that he was in jail. Beat some guy up while drinking. I was also told that he was at some woman's house and her old boyfriend is the man he beat up. The guy who called me said he is not "seeing" her, just hanging with her and drinking and drugging together. Now, my ex doesn't go for more than a few weeks without picking up a new bimbo to move in with. He can't live alone. Doesn't know how. And I know this....so WHY does it hurt so badly. I know as long as he's still using...he will go from bimbo to bimbo. It's his pattern. And I know I will always love him, but I can't go back to him unless he is working on sobriety and shows me some clean time. Still, I can't give up all hope on the man....I still pray that some day he finds recovery. This guy last night was telling me I'm all he talks about. I know I was the woman he loved...so why does he have to go from bimbo to bimbo. And how do I keep it from hurting.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Nothing others do is because of you. What others say and do is a projection of their own reality, their own dream. When you are immune to the opinions and actions of others, you won’t be the victim of needless suffering.
I read that in a book called The Four Agreements. It's a common sense type book and the four agreements are ones you make with yourself.

My therapist gave me a great visual: it's holding a mirror in front of you, the reflection directed at the other person.

Your ex goes from bimbo to bimbo because it's something he needs to do. It hurts you because you perceive it as a reflection of you somehow. Turn the mirror around and you'll start to feel so much better
Old 02-12-2010, 07:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you can continue the path of living your new life and close the shapters involving those who can not treat you with the love and respect you deserve.