Relapse Contract?

Old 11-16-2009, 04:24 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi BigBob,
My son and I just met with a counselor today and he also mentioned a contract for living at home. My son has been out of rehab for 1 week and is 21, also addicted to Oxy. The contract is for expectations while living at home, but, he told my son that he had to be very honest and say whether he can really agree with our rules or not. If my son lies just to be agreeable then it can cause him internal conflict and that is not a good place for him to be right now. So tonight we will sit down and write a contract. I’m not entirely sure what it will say but the counselor said that consequences are a big part of it too.
Another interesting thing the counselor said (and somebody posted this as well) is that because he (my son) had been using since the age of 16 or 17 then that is where he is at today; socially and maturity wise etc. He said to my son that he has some things to learn since he is now 21 and one of them is honesty and working things out, like this contract. I’m actually happy to have this confirmed because, honestly, I was feeling like my son should be more responsible etc. then he is so this makes perfect sense.
It is my son’s choice so we are signing him up for an intense out-patient program now. The counselor said he should focus on “sobriety/not-using” first and then finding a job (if that is the case) for at least a couple of months – that is also good to know. I’ll tell you, we are learning a lot.
I wish you the best of luck with your son and look forward to chatting with you. Kel
Old 11-16-2009, 05:20 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sunshine1980 View Post
I'm sorry if this sounds really ignorant but I don't really get the second one?
Not ignorant at all. You'd have to know the layout of my house to understand. The master bedroom is off one side of the kitchen and I got tired of being wakened in the middle of the night. It's harmful to our sleep. If a person is quiet as a church mouse, then I'll never know and won't mind
Old 11-17-2009, 01:57 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Drug test are not all their cracked up to be. Somehow my son went thru a year of UAs passing them all, yet using as well most of that time. Not sure how or what good the test were, but . . . just thought I'd add after reading one of the above posts.