Positive Outcomes

Old 08-31-2009, 11:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Positive Outcomes

Hello All,
Some of you may remember me from months ago. I have the HBF who stole from me then went to jail, recently got out in July 2009 and relapsed again and is now in rehab/work house.

I know I have read thousands of posts and they all pretty much say the same thing but I figured I would ask this question again.

Has anyone on here experienced a positive outcome to their relationship as it involves addiction and recovery? Has anyone survived the turbulent times and made it through with your sanity still in tact?

I have been reading a book titled, "Reclaim Your Family from Addiction" by Craig Nakken. It's a book that is offering me hope. It is also helping my addict HBF recover from the damage he has caused from his addicition. If you haven't read it, please get a copy. It's AWESOME.

But any feedback is much appreciated about your journey into recovery and how you survived as a family in a POSITIVE way.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Many, many here have and they'll be along to tell you so. Just this morning I was reading posts from two moms who consider it nothing less than a miracle that their kids are doing well today and each have over a year clean.

There are many double winners who post here, people who are in AA or NA and also here because they have codependent issues to address as well as addiction recovery. Several have many years clean also.

Read around and you'll see them.

As for our own survival, I can tell you that my life has never been better, I have never lived as well seeing the beauty in each day and feeling inner peace and serenity...and my son is still lost in his addiction somewhere. That's what Al-anon, Nar-anon and CoDA are all about...taking care of us and living healthy lives regardless of how our addicts are doing.

I'm not alone here, and I'm sure others will share about their own recovery too.

Hugs
Old 08-31-2009, 02:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
totfit

Just move on.
Old 08-31-2009, 03:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by totfit View Post
Just move on.
Is that from your own personal experience as the loved one of an addict?
Old 08-31-2009, 03:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by totfit View Post
Just move on.
Old 08-31-2009, 03:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Has anyone on here experienced a positive outcome to their relationship as it involves addiction and recovery? Has anyone survived the turbulent times and made it through with your sanity still in tact?
Me! Actually, I came thru the turbulence and I am more sane now than I used to be.

I have nearly 4 years clean from my crack addiction. My sons father, who was my dealer, has about 6 months clean. Are we still together? No. We haven't been for a long time. I set boundaries. He blew it and that meant it was over several years ago. And thank God, since he kept using and has been in and out of prison several times in the last four years.

Now that he is clean, we are on speaking terms and I'm happy for him. It's a very positive outcome. Plus since we aren't together, I don't have to be wrapped up in his problems anymore, because, even though he's clean, he has a heck of a lot of problems still.

Staying together isn't the only positive outcome. Like my friend Anvil once said to me, the universe strives for balance. All things work together for good.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
grateful rca

i agree with kitty. i'm at 7yrs clean but my ah is maybe still using off and on. i don't really know about him since i'm currently in no contact mode with him. i've had 9yr and 5yrs clean and still relapsed but still i feel it was a positive outcome on my part. today i've been able to maintain my sobriety with 2 kids in tow, today i'm free of the anger and disappoints of living in addiction and i do sympathize with my addict. i guess it depends on what the individual idea of a positive outcome is.