New here, I need all the advice I can get. Please help

Old 08-16-2009, 03:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy New here, I need all the advice I can get. Please help

Hi all,
Hope everyone is doing well in their journeys towards sobriety/recovery. I joined the forum not because I am an addict however my fiance is addicted to cocaine in various forms. Yesterday morning he left for rehab. In the two years that we've been engaged I've hardly ever been away from him and now he's gone for the next 34 days and I'm just looking for some support. Every time he calls I cant help but cry. Is there something I can say to ease his feelings as well as my own?

-Me
Old 08-16-2009, 03:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
IPT

Man I wish I had an answer for you. I have little expereince with this and I also am not an addict. I WAS an enabler though and even that hid itself from me until after reading much on here and doing a lot of looking at myself.

The good thing for you is that HE IS IN REHAB. That is a great start to a better future. Hopefully he went on his own and is ready to tackle the times ahead. I would try and just focus on yourself and understand that he is going to have some struggles as will you. As they say, "anything worth having is worth working for".

I am sure more people who have been in your shoes will comment soon. This is a wonderful community for support and information. hugs to you.
Old 08-16-2009, 04:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Addiction brings a lot of loss and a lot of pain and tears and grief are a natural response to the terribleness of it all.

Let the people in rehab teach him to deal with his own feelings, dear, and face life on his own two feet.

Welcome. Everyone here is ready to help you through whatever is ahead.
Old 08-16-2009, 05:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Afin, welcome to SR. You've found a good place for support for YOU! Read all the sticky posts here at the top of the forum... learn all you can about addiction and recovery.

Use this time to put the focus back on you... enjoy the break from the chaos our loved one's addiction brings into our lives. A good book to read is Co-dependent no more" by Melody Beatty.

Keep reading and posting. You'll find so much support here!

(((HUGS)))
Old 08-16-2009, 05:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your kind words. Every time he calls I cry and I feel a pinch of guilt but all the counselors have said its only normal. I pray for his recovery and I am optomisitic..its just so hard.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
grateful rca

hi, welcome to sr. i'm glad to see him seeking help but there is still no need for you to feel guilty. he may have tried to blame you for a lot but you had nothing to do with his decision to abuse drugs and there is nothing you can do to help him short of focusing on you and allowing him to do the same for himself.

rehab is the beginning so i pray that he is really ready to stop and continue to move forward in his recovery. i am a recovering crack/cocaine addict and it took me about 5 or 6 rehab stints before i was convinced and its taking my ah a lot more stays at rehab and he is still at it. i said that to say that even though its really good that he is reaching out, rehab is not a cure all. addiction effects all involved so try to keep the focus on you. i'll be praying for the both of you
Old 08-16-2009, 06:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I need to be optomistic so I will continue to be just that.
Old 08-17-2009, 03:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

In my opinion you should RUN, not walk, to al-anon mtgs. and work the 12 steps of recovery through that program to work on yourself and your own issues and co-dependent ways.
For the best chance at a healthy life and relationship it would be best for both of you to get involved.
Best wishes.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I know it must be hard to be alone now since you are use to being with him. Do you have friends or family to be with right now? Use this month to focus on yourself, and do things that will bring joy into your life. Although it's hard to be alone, rejoice in the fact that he is going to rehab and is pursuing a clean lifestyle.

I'm glad you are reaching out to get support from such a great community.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I thought the al-anon meetings were only for those who had loved ones who fallen to alcoholism? I would very much so like to find a meeting to go to. Any help?
Old 08-18-2009, 10:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

look online with a search for al-anon in your city or county.
Online directories of mtgs. are available.
Then find a home mtg. that feels right for you.
It works when you work it.
All of my relationships have improved and I started working on my own character defects rather than noticing everyone else's after working the steps through al-anon and going to mtgs for several yrs.