The totally OT F&F Recipe Sharing Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 01:36 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Let me know if the bread doesn't work out and I will get you the exact directions that were given to me.

It really is that simple and you can tell hank I was very skeptical too ...

Even if it doesn't turnout perfectly your house will smell so good
Old 06-25-2009, 02:13 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

It is one of those situations where it is so simple that really you don't need the "formal" directions ...

I had my friend come over to teach me in person and I remember saying to her "what else do I need to do" after I mixed the ingredients together which took 2 minutes and she said "nothing" .... I was so surprised

When I quizzed her, she was very very relaxed about it saying she's used every type of flour, she has let it rise for under 12 hours, etc ... more imprecise than anything else ... I think the only thing you want to watch for is that when it has been rising in a bowl for 12 hours (covered) and you check on it, that you gently take a spatula around the edge as you want to keep as many of the air bubbles as possible ...

I checked the yeast and it says "quick rise" "perfect for bread machines" so I bet whatever you have on hand will work ... the pot is easier than the machine that is for sure!!

I hope it works for you ...
Old 06-29-2009, 09:42 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Optimist

Originally Posted by anvilhead View Post
so i think i'm gonna try every single one of these this weekend!!! i told hank about the bread recipe...he looked equal parts suspicious and hopeful!!!!! i'll probably go into a sugar coma with the truffles......
So...how'd it turn out?
Old 06-29-2009, 11:43 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Love recipes! I have collected them since the age of 12, I literally have thousands. There are a few of them that are truly outstanding. I will have to look for a few of them, and will post them later. In the meantime, I just made this for father's day for my dad and family. I got it out of "Taste of Home" magazine (great recipes are always in this magazine, I have subscribed to it for several years).

These were delicious!

Country-style tomatoes

submitted by [I]Cathy Dwyer[I]//Freedom, NH

Prep: 25 minutes
Cook: 10 minutes/batch
Yield: 8 servings

4 large tomatoes 1/4 c. flour
1 pkg. (8oz.) cream 1 c. panko (Japanese)
cheese, softened bread crumbs (I used regular)
1/4 c. minced fresh 1 egg
parsley
1-1/2 tsp. minced fresh 3 Tbsp. milk
basil or 1/2 tsp dried 3 Tbsp. butter
1 garlic clove, minced 3 Tbsp. olive oil
1/4 tsp salt

Cut each tomato into four thick slices; place on paper towels to drain. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, parsley, basil, garlic and salt until blended. Spread cream cheese mixture over eight tomato slices; top with remaining tomato slices.

Place flour and bread crumbs in separate shallow bowls. In another bowl, whisk egg and milk. Coat the top and bottom of each sandwich with flour, dip into egg mixture, then coat with bread crumbs.

In a large skillet heat butter and oil over medium-hot heat. Fry tomato sandwiches in batches for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on a paper towels. Serve immediately.

Enjoy!
Old 06-29-2009, 11:47 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Well, oops! the ingredient list got really screwed up!

Here it is again, hopefully more readable!

4 large tomatoes
1 pkg. (8(oz) cream cheese, softened
1/4 c. minced fresh parsley
1-1/2 tsp. mince fresh basil or
1/2 tsp. dried basil
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 c. flour
1 c. panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
1 egg
1 Tbsp. milk
3 Tbsp. butter