Need some advice

Old 05-21-2009, 05:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need some advice

Hi! I'm new to the forum and need some advice about my addicted bf. Him and I have had an on and off relationship for the past year, and over the period time he's been in rehab twice. He is about to be discharged from an inpatient program in about a week, and since he's been in rehab (about 2 months) our relationship has really improved. He has been in another state for the past eight months but since he's been in rehab and we've talked almost everyday. He's has been more honest and communicative than ever before, and despite the situation everything between us is great. He recently found out he could return to my home state once he is released, which has been the best news we've gotten in a while. But he hasn't called me in almost a week. I know he was going to be busy this week and he has limited access to the phone, but this is unusual for him. Last time we talked everything was great and he was very excited that we would finally get to be together. I can't contact him, and I'm can't think of any explanation for this. I've never dealt with a recovering addict, so I don't know how to take this. Should I be concerned or is this typical behavior for someone in his position? Any advice from someone who's been through this and could better understand what's going on would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-22-2009, 04:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

i really do not know why he has not called. could be alot of different things. you have to accept that his recovery is the most important thing & it should come first before anything. welcome to s.r. & keep coming back. while u wait for him to come home it would help you if you find a meeting for yourself. let go & let God. it is a long hard road with an addict & it has just begun. hugs & prayers,
Old 05-23-2009, 10:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Live it

Sunflower,

I feel for you sweetie. Young boys are not always the most considerate types of humans. Add substance abuse issues on top of the typical behavior and you have one pretty unreliable human.

I would take Cynical One's advice and start thinking about yourself. What do you like to do? What would you like to do? When there's no one around, what makes you happy?

Then do those things. No matter what. So long as they're healthy (if they're not, then perhaps the doctor should be the first place that you go).

Good luck to you, dear, and keep us posted.

Sugar