100.00%
Not sure
0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Prometa

Old 04-05-2009, 10:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Prometa

My Fiancee called to day and he told me that they put him on Prometa. I did some research on it and from what I see it seems to have a good success rate. However, I was wondering if they are all paid actors or what?

My question is: Is there anyone here that has had an experiance with this "miracle" intervention? If so did it work or is this just a bunch of nonsense for this Hythiam company to make a lot of money?
Old 04-05-2009, 10:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I just read a post on the substance abusers board from a guy who said it didn't work for him. It works if you work it I guess. Just like any other kind of program.

I'm confused. Isn't you fiance clean and in jail? If he's in a place where he can't get cocaine, doesn't seem like there would be much of a need for a drug to stop a craving. It's not like methadone or something. There are no physical withdrawal symptoms from cocaine.

I can't believe the tax payers in Arizona pay for this kind of therapy. I struggle to believe it's prescribed in jail at all. Wow.

One thing I learned from my ex is that addict or not, EVERYONE in jail does a lot of quacking. Our job on the outside is to stay focused on taking care of ourselves and our families, and not paying too much attention to attention to them. Take a wait and see approach to everything people say when they are in jail.

If he's not in jail, I apologize for the confusion.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I can't remember what county it was, but they were using the protocol for inmates in the system. The results did NOT warrant the outrageous cost of the program and the county has since dropped it.

I moderate at a forum for meth addicts and loved ones, and the general consensus has been it's another snake oil salesman technique.

Personally for me there's been no parallel to my recovery like old fashioned hard work in a 12 step program on a continuing basis.

If quitting had been easy for me, I'd have had no incentive to stay clean!
Old 04-05-2009, 04:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hello-kitty View Post
I just read a post on the substance abusers board from a guy who said it didn't work for him. It works if you work it I guess. Just like any other kind of program.

I'm confused. Isn't you fiance clean and in jail? If he's in a place where he can't get cocaine, doesn't seem like there would be much of a need for a drug to stop a craving. It's not like methadone or something. There are no physical withdrawal symptoms from cocaine.

I can't believe the tax payers in Arizona pay for this kind of therapy. I struggle to believe it's prescribed in jail at all. Wow.

One thing I learned from my ex is that addict or not, EVERYONE in jail does a lot of quacking. Our job on the outside is to stay focused on taking care of ourselves and our families, and not paying too much attention to attention to them. Take a wait and see approach to everything people say when they are in jail.

If he's not in jail, I apologize for the confusion.
Yes he is in jail. But it's meth not cocaine adn it is very easy to smuggle it into county here. I know cuz I was there at one point. The staff knows this too. They keep as much of an eye out for it as they can but it still gets done. He doesn't do much quacking actually he's doing very good. He made trustee in about 2 weeks and he sends me half of the money he gets. I know there isn't a physical addiction to meth either but I do know that the psychological cravings can drive you insane. I went through it for months before I really started being okay and I thought during that period that I was going to loose my mind.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

He doesn't do much quacking actually he's doing very good.
Good for him. One in a million.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cynical one View Post
Something isn't passing the smell test at all. When I inquired about this several years ago, it was $17,500 for this "treatment". The protocol was a complete physical and medical history, treatment (which had some nasty/dangerous side effects, the drugs they use are not FDA approved for this purpose) had to be done in the doctors office, and then only $1500 was set back for follow-up visits with a shrink. Now they're doing it for free in a jail setting...not thinking so.
I can't remember if it was county government that was funding it in the jails where I had read about it or some other source. I believe the thinking at the time was hopefully it would reduce the amount of re-offenders due to drug addiction, but as I said in my earlier post, the end results of the treatment were absymal. At that time, it was running $15,000 per individual for the protocol. Ridiculous.