Heard from son in Thearapeutic Community/Detox

Old 03-23-2009, 07:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Heard from son in Thearapeutic Community/Detox

It's been a month since my son got himself into a methadone to abstinance program that's part of a thepapeutic community in NYC called Samaritan village. Since he got himself onto medicaid, the state is paying for it. It ain't fancy, but he got in and it's free.

I haven't heard from him in a month, standard protocol for this type of program. Said it's a tough program, (They're sort of like a boot camp...no ******** allowed and they work to break you down, realize your problems and build you up again). He's methadone is down from 80 mgs daily to 40, but now the reduction is slower

The good news is he's still there!! Not once on the phone did he mention how stupid the program is, and how other people are making him thinking of leaving (for an addict it's always someone else's fault). He complained some, but he sounded good and can't wait to see us when it's allowed.

Just wanted to send some positive information. Keeping fingers crossed...One Day At a Time!
Old 03-23-2009, 07:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

thats great news.

Best wishes for you both
Old 03-23-2009, 08:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by liesagain View Post
thats great news.

Best wishes for you both
Echoing that! :-)
Old 03-23-2009, 08:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

i am so glad he is in & is not talking of leaving. he sure has given you some problems. i sure hope this is his miracle. keep posting & let us know how he is doing & how you are doing. take care of you while he is gone & get out & do things for you. prayers for you both.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

HD, I pray this is the path to a better life for him. Hang in there, one day at a time! :ghug :ghug :ghug
Old 03-23-2009, 08:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wonderful news!
Old 03-23-2009, 09:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

HD,
Happy to hear about your son. How old is he
Have a 19 year old, on the same, spiralling down and afraid we will or have lost him
haven't seen him in a couple of days. called late yesterday to announce he had 2 flat tires. supposedly hit a curb the night before, was just waking up @ 5pm yesterday
yeah, life is great. Mom and dad supposed to go and get him, and fix the problem, he was to begin a new job this morning. Never called in or showed. I'm sick HD. We love our son so much, but this is a living hell. I can't go anymore
can't sleep, just waiting for the next phone call. Do I call and have him arrested??? Before he hurts someone else or himself??? Get him off the streets. We have raised 3 sons and never have i encountered anything like this.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

HD,
Would like some information of Meth addiction. I am naive but i do know what my son has turned into. Do i understand that even if he is in TX, he will still receive Meth. Can they not quit cold??? Please explain this to me
Old 03-23-2009, 09:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

HD, your news put a huge smile on my face. He traveled a long rough road with his addiction and now he's traveling another one towards sobriety. Many prayers as he continues to put one foot in front of the other.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Wow great news.....he is doing good and that is something to be proud of! One day at a time........
Old 03-23-2009, 10:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

HD,

I am so happy to hear the news, you are one of the ones that stick in my mind from when I first started posting here. Please keep us posted, it is so nice to hear when our loved ones is fighting back against addiction.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for sharing this with us, I can hear the happiness in your words. That is truly wonderful news about your son.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

HD, Wonderful news, sounds like your son is really embracing recovery.

Yep, one day at a time.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:58 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
BBD

Hopefully he's on his way to recovery and you can sleep at night....Good luck and I pray for all our sons and daughters..Bonnie
Old 03-23-2009, 12:58 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

((HD)))

I, too, am smiling. I'm thinking that a little bit of complaining, but wanting to see you and the willingness to stay in the program is all GOOD news!!!

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 03-23-2009, 02:54 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks all. At least for the timebeing he's safe. One day at a time.
Have I mentioned recently how much addiction SUCKS??
Old 03-23-2009, 03:08 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm so excited for your son, Hurting Dad, and for you too.

I agree, addiction sucks. They don't want to be addicted either, you know? I wish all our kids could go back to that young age where they thought cigarettes, drugs, and alcohol were yucky. And then to that first time they used. Maybe they would make different choices. It's all so terrible sometimes, and they make what should be a wonderful, young life just soooo difficult and depressing. I really don't get it.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:03 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

This is great news that he's in treatment.
Maybe this time he will stay long enough for the miracle to happen

it must be nice to have hope
Old 03-24-2009, 09:53 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

HD,

Good news about your son's journey, thank you for sharing.

I've mentioned before and will say again, I relish your posts. Can't really explain it but they give me hope for me and my son.

Thanks,
Joan
Old 03-24-2009, 10:23 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JMFburns View Post
I've mentioned before and will say again, I relish your posts. Can't really explain it but they give me hope for me and my son.
I think we all feel this way about HD (along with a few other wonderful men who post on here). It does give us hope to remember that there are good dads and good men in this world.

I notice in drug court that there is a different look in the eyes of the moms then the dads. the moms look worried/frantic and the dad's just look sad to their souls. its harder for the dad's to jump in and talk many times but when you sit alone with them and talk, it all comes out in a rush. I know how it feels as a mom but i know its just as hard and in some ways may be harder for the Dad's especially those who grew up being told not to show emotion, not to show weakness, always keep their family safe - that's a lot of pressure to have on you when something so out of control like addiction comes in your life.