cancer?

Old 01-12-2009, 07:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

cancer?

Been awhile since I have been around. Been so busy raising my AD 's two children. But received horrible news? today. AD's friend called today and told me that my AD has cancer. They found abnormal cells in pap smear. AND that she has to move out from her apartment cause of lease. She is not suppose to be there in the first place. She now has 7 week old twins from the same ADBF. There are no words to tell you how I felt. But I called AD to tell her that I would like to come and talk to her. She didn't even want me to come. She said that she doesn't know for sure if she had cancer. Two entirely different stories. Don't know what to believe. But she felt good enough to tell me that I have treated her so badly for the last 7 years. Ever since she got with ADBF. I said yes I have treated you so badly that I have spent hundreds of dollars for groceries. That I stoped charges when she stole thousands of dollars from me, that I have bailed her out of jail when his family would ;put her out on the street just like they are doing now. It got totally out of hand. I finally hung up. Now I don't know what to believe. I was told that she would go to a woman's shelter with two babies. I am just beside myself. Have gone numb.
HELP, PLEASE
Old 01-12-2009, 08:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

Hang in there painter. You know better than to take AD's words personally.

Stay strong in your own recovery. Your daughter is not ready for the truth.
Some day she will be.
How wonderful you are there for your grandkids.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Originally Posted by painter View Post
Been awhile since I have been around. Been so busy raising my AD 's two children. But received horrible news? today. AD's friend called today and told me that my AD has cancer. They found abnormal cells in pap smear. AND that she has to move out from her apartment cause of lease. She is not suppose to be there in the first place. She now has 7 week old twins from the same ADBF. There are no words to tell you how I felt. But I called AD to tell her that I would like to come and talk to her. She didn't even want me to come. She said that she doesn't know for sure if she had cancer. Two entirely different stories. Don't know what to believe. But she felt good enough to tell me that I have treated her so badly for the last 7 years. Ever since she got with ADBF. I said yes I have treated you so badly that I have spent hundreds of dollars for groceries. That I stoped charges when she stole thousands of dollars from me, that I have bailed her out of jail when his family would ;put her out on the street just like they are doing now. It got totally out of hand. I finally hung up. Now I don't know what to believe. I was told that she would go to a woman's shelter with two babies. I am just beside myself. Have gone numb.
HELP, PLEASE

Abnormal cells are not always cancer. I've been going through this off and on for over a year. I freaked out at first, thought I had cancer also, but it doesn't always mean that.

Here are a few answers that may help. I wouldn't panic just yet though.

# What do abnormal results mean?

A physician may simply describe Pap test results to a patient as "abnormal." Cells on the surface of the cervix sometimes appear abnormal but are very rarely cancerous. It is important to remember that abnormal conditions do not always become cancerous, and some conditions are more likely to lead to cancer than others. A woman may want to ask her doctor for specific information about her Pap test result and what the result means.

There are several terms that may be used to describe abnormal results.

Dysplasia is a term used to describe abnormal cells. Dysplasia is not cancer, although it may develop into very early cancer of the cervix. The cells look abnormal under the microscope, but they do not invade nearby healthy tissue. There are four degrees of dysplasia, classified as mild, moderate, severe, or carcinoma in situ, depending on how abnormal the cells appear under the microscope. Carcinoma in situ means that cancer is present only in the layer of cells on the surface of the cervix, and has not spread to nearby tissues.

Squamous intraepithelial lesion (SIL) is another term that is used to describe abnormal changes in the cells on the surface of the cervix. The word squamous describes thin, flat cells that form the outer surface of the cervix. The word lesion refers to abnormal tissue. An intraepithelial lesion means that the abnormal cells are present only in the layer of cells on the surface of the cervix. A doctor may describe SIL as being low-grade (early changes in the size, shape, and number of cells) or high-grade (precancerous cells that look very different from normal cells).

* Cervical intraepithelial neoplasia (CIN) is another term that is sometimes used to describe abnormal tissue findings. Neoplasia means an abnormal growth of cells. Intraepithelial refers to the layer of cells that form the surface of the cervix. The term CIN, along with a number (1 to 3), describes how much of the thickness of the lining of the cervix contains abnormal cells.

* Atypical squamous cells are findings that are unclear, and not a definite abnormality.

Cervical cancer, or invasive cervical cancer, occurs when abnormal cells spread deeper into the cervix or to other tissues or organs.
# What if Pap test results are abnormal?

If the Pap test shows an ambiguous or minor abnormality, the physician may repeat the test to determine whether further follow-up is needed. Many times, cell changes in the cervix go away without treatment. In some cases, doctors may prescribe estrogen cream for women who have ASC–US and are near or past menopause. Because these cell changes are often caused by low hormone levels, applying an estrogen cream to the cervix for a few weeks can usually help to clarify the cause of the cell changes.

If the Pap test shows a finding of ASC–H, LSIL, or HSIL, the physician may perform a colposcopy using an instrument much like a microscope (called a colposcope) to examine the vagina and the cervix. The colposcope does not enter the body. During a colposcopy, the physician may coat the cervix with a dilute vinegar solution that causes abnormal areas to turn white. If the colposcopy finds abnormal tissue, the physician may perform endocervical curettage or a biopsy. Biopsy is the removal of cells or tissues from the abnormal area for examination under a microscope. Endocervical curettage is a type of biopsy that involves scraping cells from inside the endocervical canal with a small spoon-shaped tool called a curette.

If the testing shows abnormal cells that have a high chance of becoming cancer, further treatment is needed. Without treatment, these cells may turn into invasive cancer. Treatment options include the following:

* LEEP (loop electrosurgical excision procedure) is surgery that uses an electrical current which is passed through a thin wire loop to act as a knife.

* Cryotherapy destroys abnormal tissue by freezing it.

* Laser therapy is the use of a narrow beam of intense light to destroy or remove abnormal cells.

* Conization removes a cone-shaped piece of tissue using a knife, a laser, or the LEEP technique.

# How do terms for Pap test abnormalities compare, and which tests and treatment options may be appropriate?

Pap Test Result
Abbreviation
Also Known As Tests and Treatments May Include
Atypical squamous cells–undetermined significance
ASC–US

* HPV testing
* Repeat Pap test
* Colposcopy and biopsy
* Estrogen cream

Atypical squamous cells–cannot exclude HSIL
ASC–H

* Colposcopy and biopsy

Atypical glandular cells
AGC

* Colposcopy and biopsy and/or endocervical curettage

Endocervical adenocarcinoma in situ
AIS

Low-grade squamous intraepithelial lesion
LSIL

* Mild dysplasia
* Cervical intraepithelial neoplasia–1 (CIN–1)

* Colposcopy and biopsy

High-grade squamous intraepithelial lesion
HSIL

* Moderate dysplasia
* Severe dysplasia
* CIN–2
* CIN–3
* Carcinoma in situ (CIS)

* Further treatment with LEEP, cryotherapy, laser therapy, conization, or hysterectomy

# How are human papillomaviruses associated with the development of cervical cancer?

Human papillomaviruses (HPVs) are a group of more than 100 viruses. Some types of HPV cause the common warts that grow on hands and feet. Over 30 types of HPV can be passed from one person to another through sexual contact. Some of these sexually transmitted HPVs cause wart-like growths on the genitals but do not lead to cancer. About 15 sexually transmitted HPVs are referred to as "high-risk" because they are more likely to lead to the development of cancer.

HPV infection is the primary risk factor for cervical cancer. About 6 million new genital HPV infections occur each year in the United States. However, although HPV infection is very common, only a very small percentage of women with untreated HPV infections develop cervical cancer.
# Who is at risk for HPV infection?

HPV infection is more common in younger age groups, particularly among women in their late teens and twenties. Because HPVs are spread mainly through sexual contact, risk increases with number of sexual partners. Women who become sexually active at a young age, who have multiple sexual partners, and whose sexual partners have other partners are at increased risk. Women who are infected with the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) are also at higher risk for being infected with HPVs and for developing cervical abnormalities. Nonsexual transmission of HPVs is rare. The virus often disappears but sometimes remains detectable for years after infection.
# Does infection with a cancer-associated type of HPV always lead to a precancerous condition or cancer?

No. Most HPV infections appear to go away on their own without causing any kind of abnormality. However, persistent infection with cancer-associated HPV types increases the risk that mild abnormalities will progress to more severe abnormalities or cervical cancer. With regular follow-up care by trained clinicians, women with precancerous cervical abnormalities can be treated before cancer develops.
# Do women who have been vaccinated against HPVs still need to have Pap tests?

Yes. Pap tests continue to be essential to detect cervical cancers and precancerous changes, even in women who have been vaccinated against HPVs.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) recently approved Gardasil®, a vaccine that is highly effective in preventing infection with four types of HPV. Two of these four HPVs cause about 70 percent of cervical cancers, and the other two HPVs cause about 90 percent of genital warts (1). Another promising vaccine, Cervarix™, is being tested but is not yet approved by the FDA. These vaccines do not protect against all HPV types that cause cervical cancer. In addition, they do not protect or treat women who are already infected with HPV. Therefore, it is important for vaccinated women to continue to undergo cervical cancer screening as is recommended for women who have not been vaccinated.
# Have any studies been done to examine HPV testing and treatment options for mild Pap test abnormalities?

The National Cancer Institute (NCI), a component of the National Institutes of Health (NIH), funded and organized the ASCUS/ LSIL Triage Study (ALTS), a major clinical trial (research study with people). Findings of the trial indicate that performing an HPV test on cervical samples from women with ASC–US is more efficient than performing an immediate colposcopy or a repeat Pap test for identifying which ASC-US abnormalities need treatment. In women with ASC-US, a negative HPV test can provide reassurance that cancer or a precancerous condition is not present.
# What are false positive and false negative results?

The Pap test is a screening test and, like any such test, it is not 100 percent accurate. Although false positive and false negative results do not occur very often, they can cause anxiety and can affect a woman’s health.

A false positive Pap test means that a patient is told she has abnormal cells, but the cells are actually normal. A false negative Pap test occurs when a specimen is called normal, but the woman has a significant abnormality that was missed. A false negative Pap test may delay the diagnosis and treatment of a precancerous condition. However, regular screening helps to compensate for the false negative result. If abnormal cells are missed at one time, chances are good that the cells will be detected the next time.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

painter,

I'm so sorry for your situation. For me, one of the most painful parts of my sibs addictions has been never really knowing what the truth was.

I will keep you in my positive thoughts and your daughter too.

I don't know what else to say.

Much love,

Lenina
Old 01-12-2009, 08:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

really good info , Done!

((Painter))
I had abnormal cells on my pap smear years ago, turned out it was dysplaysia
I had a cervical cone biopsy and have never had any problems since...
hang in there....focus on you and your beautiful babies grateful
Old 01-12-2009, 08:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Always Something

Consider the source ( and her history) and try not to jump to conclusions.

Abnormal pap results are fairly common, following pregnancy, if indeed there was an abnormal reading.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Add me to the list of people who have had abnormal cells that were not cancerous. This happened twice in my life. I lived a good clean monogamous life and both times it turned out to be nothing.

That said, she is obviously in a position where she wants to inflict guilt, fear and pain on you and my thoughts are to give her space and let her sort out her own problems. She'll be okay, they always are.

Painter, you are doing a wonderful job raising those two children and working on your recovery. That's enough for any one mom to handle, and I admire how well you are doing.

Hugs to you and prayers for her.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I had abnormal pap smear after my daughter was born - they told me it was pretty common after you have given birth so dont jump to conclusions that its cancer until they do more tests. for me they just had me come back for another one the next month and all was fine.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Both of my daughters had abnormal cells on pap smear after having their babies. Oldest daughter had it checked out an she was fine. AD still hasn't went to get it checked but does bring it up a lot when she is in her poor me mode.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I just want to say i also have had abnormal smear results after my very first smear. They were mild and so a biopsy was taken and it turned out to be mild and no treatment needed, just a check up in 6 months time.
Abnormal smears don't mean cancer at all. Usually it just means Dysplasia which is treated via laser surgery or a Llets treatment and usually all is fine afterwards.
I hope it all works out ok for her and you, but don't let her guilt trip you because she's had an abnormal smear result. It's not your fault and best to wait until she's had her colposcopy.

All the best,
~Limiya~
Old 01-13-2009, 06:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

((painter))

We get caught up all too quickly in their spinning tornado. I applaud you for coming here to post your concerns and frustrations. You have received some wise words of information and support from everyone above me.

My AS went around telling friends that he possibly had cancer a couple years ago - never told me but . . . I can only guess it was a story made up to garner pity and lessen the questions about the pills he was popping and his erratic behavior???

My support is with you.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Adding my thoughts and prayers Painter. Similar experiences regarding the abnormal PAP. Hugs
Old 01-13-2009, 08:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JMFburns View Post

We get caught up all too quickly in their spinning tornado.
Ain't it the truth.

And I do not think there is calm in the eye of it ( well that's hurricanes, but you get my point).

Only thing certain is there is always drama and chaos with substance abuse and it has the power to consume everyone in it's path, which is why we strive to GET OUT OF THE WAY.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:02 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm gonna go for a different angle besides the cancer. she has twins, loosing her apt, scared, no place to go. Have a friend call you and scare you so you will be more willing to let her come and live with you and maybe let you raise these 2 kids too. Mom's house is certainly nicer than any shelter. Guilt makes us do things that we would NOT normally do. I think she was trying to make u feel bad so she could come stay with you. She knows how to hit your buttons.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:16 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Painter, Certainly sounds like she's trying to push your buttons. (as we know they all do)
Take care of yourself & those precious little ones. Let God take care of the rest.

Hugs coming your way.
Chris
Old 01-13-2009, 09:18 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I used to work at a women's shelter in Minnesota that took women with children. It was a big house with many bedrooms. We set up the bedrooms with bunkbeds and cribs so that each family could room together. The women took turns cooking and we served meals "family style" around a big table.

It wasn't ideal, but it wasn't the end of the world for any of those families. We had social workers who worked on housing and job options or welfare applications. We had group sessions re. domestic violence. We had children's advocates who made sure there was playtime for the kids. We had a social worker who ran parenting groups. We provided advice about seeking treatment. We took the kids and moms out to parks for playtime.

There are many, many, many worse places to end up than the shelter that I worked at.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:12 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kallista View Post

There are many, many, many worse places to end up than the shelter that I worked at.
Thanks for the reminder.

Shelters provide a higher standard of living than rountinely experienced by the majority of the world's population.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:43 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

saying prayers for you & your daughter. hugs,
Old 01-14-2009, 06:58 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Searching for Serenity

also offering my experience here.
i had an abnormal papsmear: HPV which usually doesn't cause any problems but CAN cause cervical cancer. so they did a biopsy and no precancerous cells. they're keeping an eye on it but i've had all normal papsmears since then.
sometimes they use the word cancer and it doesn't actually mean there is cancer.

but, plenty of people here have already told you that. i guess you didn't need me.