Survived my AS's first week in jail...

Old 11-12-2008, 08:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
krhea75

Survived my AS's first week in jail...

and I'm doing okay. I've gotten to see him a couple of times when he has been out on work release or school release, so that has helped some. I'm hoping that this is going to be a wake-up call, but I have to be realistic. It could just be a two month break for him and me. Hopefully it will make a difference. He is reading a lot and would rather talk about the books he is reading rather than his problems.

So I almost feel hopeful, at peace. That sounds horrible, my son's in jail and I'm at peace. I don't have to sleep with my purse under my pillow. I don't have to check the police beat to see if he's gotten in trouble. When I see him, he gives me a hug and tells me he loves me. He's got 60 days in jail and hopefully that is long enough to give him time to think. He does not like being in jail.

Thanks for the support and advice. I am really taking it one day at a time. I know the holidays will be hard, but I will deal withthem as they get here. For now, life is good. I thank God for the patience and strength he has given me, and for the people on this site.

Krhea
Old 11-12-2008, 08:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

(((Krhea))))

One of the wonderful things about this site and meetings is that people understand when you say you are at peace while your son is in jail. People who haven't been through it probably (almost always) don't get it.

Hope you can take this time to keep working on you and enjoy the serenity. And hoping of course that this part of his journey leads him to brighter days. Hugs
Old 11-13-2008, 03:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

When he gets out remember how good it felt for him to be in jail. Decide now to set some really good boundaries. Boundaries so that you don't have to sleep with your purse under your pillow or check the daily blotter. You can be happy despite whatever he does but that will include protecting yourself and your serenity at all costs. Hugs, Marle
Old 11-13-2008, 04:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

i understand the feeling of peace only too well. you know where he is, & for now he is not getting in trouble. enjoy your time & keep us posted on what is going on. hugs & prayers,
Old 11-13-2008, 06:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

i've been where you are at. Looking back, i was too hopeful. It was one of those times when i fell into the trap of thinking that because i had hit a bottom then i thought my son had hit a bottom too. He did not. He saw jail (actually, boot camp) as a challenge and an adventure to show all us authority types "up."

Looking back, i missed an opportunity for me to continue to set boundaries. I could have told him (before he got out) that if he was needing to come home to live with me that he first needed to go to a rehab and from there to a type of sober living arrangement. But, at the time, i was going to a 12-step meeting that had only 2 or 3 regulars and no one brought this subject up for me to think about. I've now changed my meetings to those where i will be challenged about my behavior, denial, etc...

Ah, the wisdom i have in hindsight...

hang in there - if you can get out of the grief of this then you can see the opportunity that it is....
Old 11-13-2008, 08:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Krhea
I feel the relief through your post and I am happy you are getting some peace finally...
he is in for 60 days and you have some time to beef up your boundaries and decide where you need to be in relationship to his life, for 'you'...prayers for your peace and serenity, and hopefully time well spent for your son, hugs , Grateful
Old 11-13-2008, 09:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Not much I can can add, but wishing you all the best. Hopefully this two month period will lead him to thinking about his future. Only his HP knows.

Prayers going your way.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

(((Krhea)))

I'm glad you are getting some peace and have 2 months to work on setting boundaries.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy