How do they do it?

Old 10-02-2008, 05:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ph.D in insanity!!

Angry How do they do it?

I have a question that maybe someone can help me figure out. I am very careful with my purse where I keep my medications. When ah is here I put it under the mattress underneath me thinking that I'll become awake if he tries to get anything.
He's an alcoholic but he'll take pills if given the chance as well. I've found them before and had him arrested for taking my xanax so he knows I do not joke around
Well today.....I was doing my son's hair for school and he found a pill. It was one of mine but it should NOT have been in that bathroom. That is ah's bathroom. I am short on my medication so I know he must have taken a good amount. I don't want to file a report because it only causes us more money. Been there done that.
Does anyone have a place they hide thiers? He's like a rat and can get into anything. He must have found a way to take them while I'm sleeping. I have a lock box but he can easily pick it up and take it outside to open it.
I can't put it in the car because he has a key and I've taken the key away but he seems to get another one. No friends or family to keep my meds when he's here.
I am soooooooooo psd right now.

And he's so stupid that he leaves the pills on top of the door frame, on a shelf above the door in the bathroom closet.......he's even put them in a cigerette pack in the toilet brush holder!! So sick. He'll put them on top of the medicine cabnets. This one was just laying out behind my make up box. I think he forgot it was there and didn't take it. That's not something I would do.
I need some really genius suggestions. Please.
Old 10-02-2008, 05:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Have you thought about the fact that you're married to someone that you absolutely cannot trust? Not to be harsh here, but if you have to work so hard to hide something from someone that you're suppose to trust the most (your husband) maybe you should re-evaluate that? He's an addict, he'll find a way to get whatever he wants and he's forceing you to play the same game that he's playing. Until he's ready to get real and get clean you'll be doing this for the rest of your life. You can find the best hiding place in the world, but it will be a matter of time before he finds it. You yourself has said he's a rat and will find or get to anything that he wants. Maybe you hiding whatever isn't the problem - him searching it out IS the problem.

Someone recently told me a lie will be halfway around the world before the truth gets his shoes on. BUT the truth will ALWAYS catch up with the lie.

Sorry to be grouchy, maybe someone messed with my cheerio's this morning, but this sounds like no way to live IMHO.
Old 10-02-2008, 05:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

(((Stubborn)))

I have to agree with Callie. Trust is a big issue for me, and it stresses me out, way too much, to be around someone I can't trust.

I'm a recovering addict. We're sneaky, and probably, no matter where you hide them, he will find them. He will continue to do it as long as he can get away with it.

Sorry you're going through this.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 10-02-2008, 06:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Are you attending Alanon or Naranon?

The decision is yours as to what you will do, and what you will tolerate....

You can't be hiding pills forever. He's done it again...obviously being arrested didn't work. If he doesn't get them from you he will find a way to get them....

He's a disaster waiting to happen. Nothing good is going to come out of it until he wants sobriety.

If you have a therapist, or a substance abuse counselor that you know, talk to them....a intervention may be needed.

It's something you will have to think through.... and make a plan. You will need lots of support and guidance in doing that.

You know your son doesn't need to grow up around that either. I know you don't want that. You have to set the example that drug abuse is not acceptable in your home.

NH7
Old 10-02-2008, 06:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi, sorry to be unoriginal but I agree with all of the above replies. Would have posted something very similar myself had I seen your thread earlier!!
First of all what Callie says is so true. Hiding booze/pills/drugs is all part of what addicts and alcoholics do as Impurffect says. NH7 has suggested some support which is what you need. Good Luck I know what you're going through is hard.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ph.D in insanity!!

Yes I know I'm married to an alcoholic. I just do not live with an alcoholic. This is his home prior to marriage that me and the children live in. If I divorce I can not collect child support because he is under the table. There is a reason I do not divorce. For financial reasons. It will always be this way unless he gets a job where I can collect.
I allow him to come here on some weekends to visit with the kids. Making him sleep in his truck wouldn't fly with the kids or I would def have him do that.
I would not get anything for this house and I'm not going to be stupid and put me and three children on the streets. So for now...........this is what it is.
I asked if anyone had any suggestions on how to hide medication.
Thank you for the other comments but they do not pertain to our living arrangements. I know what I am married to and seperated from.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

No need to get in a tussle, we're just trying to help. If their is a will, their is a way. This arrangement does not sound healthy for anyone - the kids or you. Do you have a good lawyer? In my state, I just have to prove what he makes - under the table or not. Bank statements, bills paid where money isn't showing up etc. You say you're married to an A, but not living with an A. But he's wreaking havoc on your life as well as your kids. $$ is very important, but so is your well being, your sanity. Not just for you, but for your kids.

I'd suggest contacting a lawyer and finding out your options. In the meantime, I'd be pushing $$ into a private acct.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Ok, so you are not looking for recovery suggestions but rather help out smarting addict behavior? Ok, I'll play. Why don't you just keep them on your person at all times. Stick them in a ziploc and keep them in your pocket or stuffed in your underwear? Truly, there are MANY hiding places if that is really all you want to do...Bottom of the tampon box? Inside a picture frame? In shoes that are never worn? Hollow out a book in the bookcase...
Old 10-02-2008, 09:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My addict sons hid their drugs behind the electrical wall outlets (take off the cover and put them there) - also they hid them above the door jamb in their rooms.

Even I - the ultimate codie getaspo - couldn't find them there.

Might work for you.

Love in recovery,
Jody Hepler

Old 10-02-2008, 09:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

okay, so here are some places were I hid drugs when I was using, or others did.

- in the hems of curtains
- in the upper track of the thing that holds blinds in a window
- sealed in a ziploc bag and placed in a box of laundry detergent
- tear a little hole in the bottom of the box spring and put them in there
- electrical outlets (like Jody said)
- under some lamps, if the base isn't flush with the table

yeah, I was a sneaky addict.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stubborn1 View Post
Yes I know I'm married to an alcoholic. I just do not live with an alcoholic. This is his home prior to marriage that me and the children live in. If I divorce I can not collect child support because he is under the table. There is a reason I do not divorce. For financial reasons. It will always be this way unless he gets a job where I can collect.
I allow him to come here on some weekends to visit with the kids. Making him sleep in his truck wouldn't fly with the kids or I would def have him do that.
I would not get anything for this house and I'm not going to be stupid and put me and three children on the streets. So for now...........this is what it is.
I asked if anyone had any suggestions on how to hide medication.
Thank you for the other comments but they do not pertain to our living arrangements. I know what I am married to and seperated from.

Hugs to you stubborn!

You know, usually with men its out of sight, out of mind! Mine can't find the ketchup if it's behind the milk! It is definitely difficult to outsmart and alcoholic/addict....

The ideas to keep them on your person are good---except I would be wary of carrying around "unidentified pills" outside of the prescription bottle......then you could get into just as much trouble as him (I've had a friend that was pulled over for having a xanax out of the bottle and and even though they were prescribed, she was arrested).

I like the tampon box idea.....would he go there??? Also, the outlet idea.....that's a good one, there's lots of room. Is there a closet somewhere in your house you can put a combination lock on? We do that for the kids I work with (I've hidden extra supplies in the HVAC closet, which is kept secure with a combination lock).

Hope your day is sunshiny,

K
Old 10-02-2008, 10:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I can't help thinking, if he's an addict, and he already has his own hiding places, surely he's going to find yours sooner or later if he wants your pills. Then you'll have to find other places, and he'll find those, hopefully before your kids do. How long can you go on doing that?
Old 10-02-2008, 10:44 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Well since you are not going get a divorce, or leave him for the money reason. When I used I would put them in my remotes, stuffed animals, taped to the bottom of anything I could.

You are married to an addict it will never change as long as you stay with them. As for him seeing his kids, and supporting you. YOu can always turn him in for working under the table, you can get on welfare until you get on your feet. The kids do not need to be around an addict, they see what you are allowing and are going to be just like you.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:14 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

My RAS hollowed out a place in his mattress to hide his drugs, also took a lamp apart, put the drugs in and then put in back together. He hid them in the case of his computer, in the back of his keyboard, inside his dvd player, inside the printer for his computer, you could also try to hide them in the lining of your purse. Is there some kind of food in the cupboard that he doesn't like, maybe try hiding them in there.

Barb
Old 10-02-2008, 11:49 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Taped inside the toilet paper roll. Way way back in the kitchen cupboard underneath all the plates. In my bra. Inside my jewelry box under the lining. Inside a plastic applicator inside a box of tampons under the sink in the bathroom.

But you know what, my addict boyfriend would ALMOST ALWAYS find my drugs and use them anyway.

If an addict knows you have drugs and wants to find them bad enough. He will destroy your house looking for them. It's probably better to kick the addict out and change the locks... but that's just my opinion and what I did in my situation (after I got clean...)
Old 10-02-2008, 11:59 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Addicts can find anything unbelievable! AS found every spot in our home and I was quite ingenious where I hid things. My life was locked in the back of my car and I would carry the keys around. I couldnt stand always being on alert when he lived with us. He would root through anything yes tampon boxes too. Its like he could sniff out money. The pills in the house my spouse takes we put in a small safe he took the whole safe.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:37 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
cmc

And what if children find the hidden drugs?

I hid my meds from my AS...and locked them up too. He could find them blindfolded with me in the next room or just out the front door getting my mail.

Last edited by cmc; 10-02-2008 at 04:55 PM.
Old 10-02-2008, 05:22 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

How about keeping like one or two in an old bottle. When you get the new rx put them in the pocket of old jacket or inside a dark vase with flowers in it.
Not sure how often you get zanax and if he knows but if he doesn't he may see the 1 or 2 and think your out.
Something I thought was funny, I had stuff for diarehea and I had put them in an empty zanax bottle so it was easier for me to get one and kept them in the med cabinet. I had a guest staying with us and apparently he helped himself to my (Imodium) zanax LOL Two days later he said he was constipated and did I have anything. When I went for the bottle of softner I noticed the imodium was half gone and he told me what he had done. I laughed, I also so him he wasn't welcome anymore since he felt he could steal things from me. I laughed about that for years.....
Old 10-02-2008, 06:08 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

couple of comments, my mom stayed married to my dad who was an alcoholic, and it messed me up all around.

I have to kind of laugh because it is AMAZING how they can find a pill right??? You'd think if they can find A pill they could find A job, right?

Trick is the sound pills make in a jar. I have to say, as a past pill popper myself, its like a musical instrument. Deep sound, would be a horse pill like vicodin, light high pitch sound klonopin, higher, a xanax stick...

Put cotton balls in the bottle to hide the sound.... I have a pocket shoe rack, and would put them in a shoe, there... In the past to hide my own stash, I would put it where you would put batteries in a stereo... I also had split them up, so as not to have them all in the same spot.

Right now, even though he is not here, I have them in the tampon box.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:43 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Ph.D in insanity!!

Originally Posted by Callie View Post
No need to get in a tussle, we're just trying to help. If their is a will, their is a way. This arrangement does not sound healthy for anyone - the kids or you. Do you have a good lawyer? In my state, I just have to prove what he makes - under the table or not. Bank statements, bills paid where money isn't showing up etc. You say you're married to an A, but not living with an A. But he's wreaking havoc on your life as well as your kids. $$ is very important, but so is your well being, your sanity. Not just for you, but for your kids.

I'd suggest contacting a lawyer and finding out your options. In the meantime, I'd be pushing $$ into a private acct.
No "tussel" here. My children are very healthy. I have already spoke to an attorney and this is the best choice for us. In my state you can not prove anything under the table. He's not wrecking havoc on my life but taking my meds. I don't really consider that "havoc" more annoying.
I have my well being and sanity and so do my children. Honors clases and gifted students. They're all set, thanks.
I do save the money I get. Divorce isn't the answer for everyone. I am very happy and so are the kids. When there is a bridge to cross then I cross it. Pretty simple really.