Old 09-22-2008, 08:20 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

Far enough to know that

"No matter what, Me & my God are going to be ok - Even better than OK"
Old 09-22-2008, 08:50 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Great thread Moose!

For me, I have learned what it really means, staying on my side of the street. I've learned it's not ignoring others, or not stepping across the road to help or support when asked, but I have learned that I can smile, wave, say hello and still be engaged with others on the other sides of my street, but my street is cleaning up well. It's not completely "litter" free, but it's much prettier and cleaner than it's been for a long time. I used to be so busy helping everyone else that my side was looking really shabby and neglected.

I have learned happiness too. I have blue eyes, or rather I did. I used to, when I was younger, get comments about my eyes frequently. How blue they were, or a pretty blue, etc. It's been years and years since anyone has commented on the color of my eyes, they have been mostly on the gray side. I just assumed it was a result of aging, and I didn't think much about it. This summer, however, since I have moved out into my own space, soooo many people who I have known for quite a while have made comments that they didn't realize I had blue eyes! Strangers have commented on how blue my eyes are. Yesterday at a wedding a member of my extended family sitting next to me at the lunch looked at me and said, I forgot you had blue eyes! I never thought about my eyes being a mood barometer like so many others, but it appears they are and it seems my happiness is literally shining bright!

And, one of the best things I've learned is that I just want to keep on learning and "getting better" - healthier and happier! It feels sooo good!
Old 09-22-2008, 02:14 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
BBD

I've really been working on "me" for the past year and a half and I have come a long way...I can and did "Let Go"of Chris and turned him over to his higher power for the last time. So many times I turned him over and stood in the way. I no longer lie awake most of the night worrying about what tomorrow will bring. I can enjoy my daily life without knots in my stomach> I can't think of all the ways I have changed but it has been a good journey and I'm thankful to all the people that have helped me along the way. It hasn't been easy~~ painful at times but I'm worth it. And best of all~~I can say "NO" now which never was ME!!!! I still think and worry at times but I can control that now with all of your help and my learning to be still at times. Smiles, Bonnie
Old 09-22-2008, 02:26 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

Wow, look at all the recovery!

We INDEED have come a long way.

It appears that we could make our own recovery book!
(Look out Melody Beattie, here we come!)

(Baxter, I'm so glad you did so well at karaoke, perhaps in the past you would have got up and sang "Baby come back" )

This just isn't about "detachment" it's about ALL we've picked up along the way....you're all doing great!
Old 09-22-2008, 07:39 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

i have come a long way & i am so proud to say this. when i first join S.R. i was a total mess. i remember the first time my son was in jail he called & told me they had no hot water. i called the warden & demanded that he turn it on....lol... all the h*ll i raised the man did it. my son today (16yrs.later) is in jail waiting to be trialed as habitual felon. i do not take phone calls unless it is for my benifiet, do not listen to the "blames",(altho he does not blame me), he knows i will hang up. i do not question the fact that "what if i had done this or that" i know it is not my fault.i do not wake up every morning & he is the first thing i think of. i am at peace with my self today & do good at keeping the focus on me. i have my life & i enjoy living. i8 have come a long way. thanks to you all.