Step Study ~ Step 11

Old 07-16-2008, 06:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Step Study ~ Step 11

Step Eleven: Sought thru prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.

Taken from Paths to Recovery, Al Anon’s Steps, Traditions & Concepts pp 110-111

Although referred to as the second maintenance step, Step Eleven does introduct new action – the action of seeking through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God. What is prayer? What is meditation? How are they different? An important note to make is that this Step guides us with the words prayer and meditation, not prayer or meditation.

To some, prayer is seen as a religious act of placing one’s hands together, getting on one’s knees and talking to God. Others ask their sponsor, an Al Anon member or spiritual person to guide them. In Al Anon some begin with simple prayers, such as the Serenity Prayer or “not my will but thine be done.” Some pray every morning or evening, some pray throughout the day. Reading the prayers found in Al Anon literature opens the door for others. Many read daily from One Day at a Time in Al Anon, Courage to Change: One Day at a Time in Al Anon II or Alateen: a Day at a Time, using the day’s message as a form of prayer. Writing letters to God works, too. We learn to pray from example and from other’s personal experience. To some of us, it may feel artificial. Sometimes prayer works and we are delighted, while at other times nothing seems to happen. Accepting God’s will and God’s time can mean saying a prayer and letting go.

Meditation has been used in many cultures as a spiritual practice for thousands of years. Finding a quiet time in our busy lives can be difficult. Many find it helpful to schedule a specific time at a set location to meditate. In the beginning we many not need a great deal of time. In fact, success may come by trying for a few minutes at a time until we become more comfortable with the action. Almost all of us can find the few minutes needed, if we want. As we have success disciplining our minds, these brief periods of meditation will increase.

What is meditation? Al Anon leaves that question open for each of us to answer in our own way. Drawing upon the experiences of other Al Anon members can help us to find our own path.

The Second part of Step Eleven, “… praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out,” focuses our prayers in a specific direction – God’s not ours. Asking only for God’s will means surrendering our own. Working previous Steps has helped us to become willing. Before recovery some of us accepted unacceptable behavior in others, believing we were doing God’s will. Despite sincere efforts, we are not always able to separate God’s will from our own, but we can strive for improvement. When we experience a new joy, we now celebrate with newfound gratitude. When we make a mistake, we learn from it and continue to grow – One Day at a Time.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

An important note to make is that this Step guides us with the words prayer and meditation, not prayer or meditation.
How do I do find the difference between prayer and meditation? Can I talk to my sponsor, another Al-Anon friend or someone I’m sponsoring about the difference?

Am I willing to try prayer and meditation today?

What can I do to add prayer and meditation to my life today?

Do I have a special time and place to pray and meditate? What can I do to create one?

How have I sought to improve my conscious contact? Have I sought out help from my group? My sponsor? Anyone else in Al-Anon?

What personal spiritual experiences can I draw on to help me improve my conscious contact with a Higher Power?

What does it mean to me to pray only for God’s will and not my own? How can I distinguish between God’s will and my self-will?

How have I been mistaken about God’s will? How has my self-will caused me difficulties?

How am I willing to be guided today?

Is something blocking me in this Step today? What is it? What Steps can I review to help me feel connected again?

What do I need to have the power to carry out God’s will for me? Have I asked God for that power?
Old 07-16-2008, 07:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

I used to get hung up on what I was (or wasn't) doing with regard to prayer and mediation. I thought that since I wasn't hitting my knees and/or reciting a specific text that I wasn't praying at all. Meditation was the same. I wasn't finding a quiet space, making an effort to clear the thoughts from my mind and thus I was not meditating.

It was when I was last in treatment that I learned something.

I felt the need to work on my understanding of my higher power. Since I was raised catholic, I decided to start with something I was already familiar with and began reading the bible. I was looking for anything that might help me with getting to know my higher power.

I was in a group and we were discussing the 11th step. I shared that I was not praying or meditating at all and that was of concern to me. One of the counselors pointed out that I had been carrying a bible around with me everywhere for the past several weeks. That's when it occured to me.

Anything that I do which brings my higher power's presence in my life to the forefront of my mind is prayer, and it makes no difference where I am or what I am doing at the time. I don't have to be on my knees. I don't have to recite a specific prayer. I don't have to practice "zen" meditation...

Prayer and meditation are my own and they are anything that I make.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I remember hearing a teenager give a bit of a testimony at our church. She said so many people get hung up on the idea of prayer - how to do it, where to do it, what to say, whether or not you're doing it right.

She said you're making it much too complicated! Just talk to God. Prayer is just talking to God.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

A couple Saturdays ago I chaired a meeting on Step 11 out of Al-Anon's 12 & 12.

Several of our members had shared about how they were trying to work thru the steps and I shared how I felt pressure (self-imposed) to finish the steps. My 1st sponsor shared with me that after about 4-6 months in the program I was doing Steps 10, 11 & 12 on a regular basis.

Looking at Step 11 - Sought thru prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.

Yes, I was doing that step on a daily, sometimes hourly basis.

In the 12 & 12 - it states: I can acutally feel my growing nearness to that Power so much greater than I.

In that growing relationship with my HP, I have learned that my prayer time is a constant conversation, talking about my day, my loved ones, friends, my hurts, joys and struggles. I can ask for specific things and then also ask for His best.

Conscious contact keeps me centered not on the problems but on the solution. Help from a power greater than me, in whatever form we choose to talk that day.

Wishing you serenity, joy and a wonderful relationship with your HP,
Rita