Can't wrap my brain around what AD has done...

Old 05-28-2008, 02:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can't wrap my brain around what AD has done...

I wrote earlier about AD being in jail and us not bailing her out, but didn't know what she had done. I just have to write and tell someone because I feel there are very few people I can talk to about this...

She got the "brilliant idea" to drive around and take garage door openers out of open cars in a neighborhood. She then went back when she thought people were gone and was going to go into their houses looking for drugs. Luckily she was picked up before she actually went into any of the houses and is just charged with 5 felony counts of theft from an automobile (I think).
She also took one of our cars to a car dealer that we have used for 20 years - tried to trade it in ( with our SS#'s, etc). When she was unable to do so (they could tell she was stoned), she stole several keys off the salesman's desk and went to the car lot using the door openers until she found a car that one of the keys opened - and drove off in it.
She parked our car a few blocks away - told me someone at the dealer ran into our car and gave her the new car she was driving as a loaner.
Our car was left in a parking lot for over a week because we thought it was in the shop.
The car dealer only discovered it when the police who picked her up discovered she didn't own the car and called the car dealer to tell them they had the car impounded.
I just can't wrap my brain around the insanity...... The only good news is that it makes is really easy to not give in and bail her out - or let her come home when she eventually gets out....
Sorry for the long post - but I just had to get it all out.
Kathryn
Old 05-28-2008, 03:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Kathryn,

I'm so glad you found SR and are able to vent your thoughts here where it's safe and where you will only find support, fellowship, and love. It's insane to find out our kids, whom we've brought up the best we can to be responsible and good, wind up making such ridiculous moves with their lives. This forum at least helps us to realize we are powerless (and blameless) for their actions. Addiction takes away all the tools we gave them in raising them, doesn't it? Suffering the consequences may be the lesson she needs to see how crazy her life has become because of using. Big hugs to you, sweetie. Hang in there, and good for you for not rescuing.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

Kathryn,
It has always amazed me how much trouble my oldest son could get into.
It seems like you have to be pretty smart, to even think, of all that stuff!

Hope it keeps you even more determined to let her stay where she is, and have faith that her H.P. is beside her.

hugs from one mom to another...
Old 05-28-2008, 04:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Kathryn,

Well, all I can say is.... You have come to the the right place.

Oh the stories we can tell when it comes to the things our addicts have done

Vent away.

Colleen
Old 05-28-2008, 04:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Kathryn, mom-to-mom I understand every word you posted and my heart and prayers go out for you and your daughter.

When I tried to make sense of any addicts actions, I learned that you can't find any logic in insanity, and that's what their behaviour is.

We moms are the only people in the world who celebrate when our kids go to rehab or jail. Either place, they are cleaner and safer than where they were before.

I'm glad you joined us.

Hugs
Old 05-28-2008, 06:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

(((Kathryn)))

When I was actively using, I did some stupid things...they seemed perfectly logical at the time. Now, when I look back, I wonder "what was I thinking?" Well, when we're using, we DON'T think, except in terms of how to get more dope.

The good thing is, when we choose recovery, we can use all that energy we used into getting dope for better things.

I'm sorry it sounds like she's going to be locked up for a while, but I think it's where she needs to be.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 05-28-2008, 07:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

Hard to believe this is the girl you raised.
Addiction def. changes their thinking and moral compass.
So sorry she is this way.

Hopefully, this is the bottom she needed to hit. Don't give up on her.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

So sorry you have to go through this. My son was missing for four days and I will not go into what he did but he was not the child I had raised. They (the police)found him on my birthday. I remember the intake worker noting it was my bd.......(from filling out forms etc.) anyway she said to me, "Some birthday huh?' My reply was yes, I'd rather be in the hospital meeting with drs. and figuring out a treatment plan any day rather than planning a funeral like what could have so easily happened and believe me we were only a hair away from his heart exploding. The doctor said so. My point to you is that for whatever reason she was found before she could do more damage not only to herself physically but legally too. I think she is in big trouble legal. Her HP is giving her a chance. It is up to her if she sees it as such. Events play out in such strange ways but you as a mom are not alone. I have been sitting in the same boat you are. Right now my son is in treatment and has been for six months. I see glimpses of the person he used to be. To be honest I remain guarded but hopeful. Only time will tell but I am thankful I know where my son is and that he is alive. God bless you......dixied