So this is what the FDA thinks about Oxycontin????

Old 04-21-2008, 06:51 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ElektrykEye View Post
I agree with many others... the drug itself is not bad. Not everyone who takes this drug (or other potentially abused drug) abuses it. My dad took oxycontin when he was dying of cancer and even that barely took the edge off of his pain. Should he have not been allowed to take the drug simply because some people abuse it?

I think it's really important to see the differences between using a drug as prescribed and abusing it. When people have the attitude that the drugs are to blame, others who really do need the medication are denied it based on the possibility of abuse. For example, I have been prescribed klonopin for years for my panic disorder. I've tried many medications and it is the only thing that has helped me to remain functional. I have never taken more than I was prescribed. However, because so many people abuse it, my prescription drug insurance no longer covers it and I have to pay for it out of pocket. How is that fair to those of us who need the medications and do not abuse them?

I feel angry that substance abusers have basically made it difficult or impossible for some of us to obtain the drugs that we legitimately need and will not abuse. How much fun do you have waiting in line at the pharmacy to get Sudafed when you feel like you're about to die from a severe cold? Ugh I should stop now LOL
I understand your frustration completely. I too have a father who suffered from Colon cancer and the subsequent removal of his colon and rectum. He was prescribed pain medication as well (obviously) and is in remission today with very little use of pain medication. I agree that there is a need. I would never wish to withhold necessary medication from someone in pain. Please dont think that is where I was going with this.

I am just finding that the education is not there. I am a nurse, so I know that physicians are short on time. They do not have the necessary time to explain in detail to the patient the possible side effects/adverse effects (and if they did, it would be absurd because the lists are long and include every possible side effect).

Obviously, the majority of problems with this medication are from people ingesting it without a prescription and/or snort and shooting it. All medications are to be taken as prescribed by the physician. My questions lie in the responsibility of the regulating agency to make the public aware of the problems they could be facing. I think that they have sugar coated it and not stressed the truth as they should have.

I blame my husband for his addiction, not the drug company or his doctor. But, I know that there is an ethical responsibility of these people that is not being addressed.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:46 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

OxyContin is only intended for moderate to severe pain that is present on a daily basis and that requires a very strong pain reliever. Patients with this type of severe pain condition require daily pain treatment. Taking OxyContin daily can result in physical dependence, a condition in which the body shows signs of narcotic withdrawal if the OxyContin is stopped suddenly. This is not the same thing as addiction, which represents a situation in which people obtain and take narcotics because of a psychological need, and not just to treat a legitimate painful condition. Physical dependence can be treated by slowly under the advice of a physician by slowing decreasing the OxyContin dose when it is no longer needed for the treatment of pain. Concerns of addiction should not prevent patients with appropriate pain conditions from using OxyContin or other narcotics for pain relief.

I'm not sure I'm following you as far as the statement "the education is not there"

what more needs to be added?

when taking the drug even as prescribed it can cause physical dependance.........yes true and noted.

Theres no statements that if your an addict you shouldnt use this drug? well really
ADDICTS know they shouldnt use this DRUG!!! ITS A narcotic and all drug addicts should avoid narcotics in any and all forms and each and every doctor nurse dentist and ER should have on record that the patient is an addict.

If that information is made clear from the start with the persons practitioners...............well I'd be willing to be they wouldnt get THIS DRUG in the first place, unless of course its from a "friend" or off the streets or a doctor they werent honest with.

What exactly would you feel is enough education?
I'm asking because, I just dont see or understand where you feel the education is lacking.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:48 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I agree with liesagain on this one.....also, I'm on a number of pain meds, and muscle relaxers, and every pharmacy I go to to get refills always staples info regarding my med to the bag containing my pills....I guess, if I was to NOT read them, then I wouldn't be informed, but that would be me, NOT anybody else...........the info is out there, either from one's dr or at the pharmacy....it's there if folks care to receive it.

NoelleR