Forum Leader

Serenity Prayer

Today's thought from Hazelden is:

God grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.
--Reinhold Niebuhr

Some things I cannot change: my age, who my relatives are, my eye color, my height, my childhood experiences, my inborn talents, my nature, someone else's abuse of alcohol or other drugs, whether the sun will shine, my job history, what I will inherit, how my parents feel, yesterday's lost opportunities, how long I will live, who forgives me, how my parents treated me, how much I am loved, the past.

Some things I can change: the youthfulness of my spirit, who my friends are, my hair color, my weight, my adult experiences, my achievements, my character, my reaction to someone else's use of alcohol or other drugs, whether my eyes will shine, my job possibilities, what I will bequeath, how I feel, my ability to act on today's opportunities, how well I will live, whom I forgive, how I treat my own children, how much I love, the future.

I thank God for my growing ability to choose.

===============
Old 03-20-2008, 06:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

From Courage to Change December 17:

12/17
Again and again in Al Anon meetings over the years, I heard the suggestion to pray for those I resented. My early attempts to follow this suggestion did me little good. Over time, however, it has become one of the most effective tools of my recovery?

What made the difference? I stopped praying for other people to change. It used to be, “Please God, let them stop hurting me,” or “Show them that I’m right,” or “Get them sober, and hurry!” Today I focus on what I can change, instead. I ask for a new way of thinking about the situation.

I keep in mind whatever is bothering me when I say the Serenity Prayer. What is it that I need to accept or change? I pray for the wisdom to know the difference, and the serenity and courage to follow through on what I learn. Finally, I pray that the person in question be given the serenity, love and joy that I want for myself. We all deserve that.

Today’s Reminder:

Resentments mark the places where I see myself as a victim. I want to let them go because they cost me too much self-esteem. I will love myself enough to release myself from the closet in which resentments keep me locked.

“If we want to stop the vicious cycle of unhappiness, we must learn new ways of living, new ways of relating to each other.” How Can I Help My Children?
Old 03-20-2008, 07:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

(((Cats)))

When I was going to AA, they told me that when I pray for someone I resented, to pray for them to get whatever blessings I would want for myself. It was hard, at first, and I felt like I was faking it. But I kept on, and eventually my prayers were sincere.

Thanks for a great post!!

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 03-20-2008, 07:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

The simple Serenity Prayer has carried me through some incredibly difficult times. I can remember saying it over and over and OVER again when I was so terrified that I thought I might die from fear. I have recited it when I needed to keep my mind occupied, and when I needed to keep myself from saying something I would later regret. Simple yet powerful words, for sure!
Old 03-20-2008, 07:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

The Serenity Prayer
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Although known most widely in its abbreviated form above,
the entire prayer reads as follows:

Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
Amen.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

great thoughts, great words. thanks for this post. i still say the serenity prayer many times a day. it is a remeinder of all things & it is also to me a part of turning things over to my h.p.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I missed this earlier, Cats, but love this thread.

The Serenity Prayer saved my bacon more than once.

It covers just about any situation and keeps me connected with my HP.

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change...anyone else

The courage to change the things I can....that would be ME

And the wisdom to know the difference...if it doesn't have my name written all over it, it's not mine.