Manipulating....a good way with good end results!

Old 10-05-2007, 08:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Manipulating....a good way with good end results!

My grandson came to me last weekend and wanted to know why his mom isn't around. He said, grandma, you have your mom...why can't I have mine. Well, I decided to take this route:

I told him that there are lots of things that grow up without a mommy. Dogs are a good example...their mommy's have them but then they are given to other people to raise and love them. Of course, that led into talking about cows, goats, horses..etc..I think we touched on every flipping farm animal there was. (LOL)

Anyhow, we had been talking about getting a puppy but had been putting it off until we all had a little more control of our lives. Of course, my husband beleives that two large dogs in a 5 bedroom house was enough...(not sure what he was thinking). Anyhow, I told him that we needed to get a puppy that may help my grandson get over thinking that he is the only thing that is without a mommy. IT WORKED!!!

We drove 4 1/2 hours to look at and select a puppy. This little guy is adorable (photo below). When we got him back home..he was whinning...and..my grandson asked..grandma what's wrong with him..I told him that he misses his mommy..but...with all the love that we are going to give him...he will be fine!! IT WORKED TOO!!! The puppy kept us up all night (not the grandson)..but..i think this is showing him that it is okay to miss your mommy...and...feel safe and secure with the people who love you!!

Last edited by TrishaV; 10-05-2007 at 08:48 AM. Reason: picture didn't show up
Old 10-05-2007, 09:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
On a tear

Awwwww..... both sound like cuties. Good analogy - something he could understand.

((hugs))
Old 10-05-2007, 10:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Awww the puppy is so cute. Great idea!!
Old 10-05-2007, 10:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good idea! Glad he is doing so good.
susan
Old 10-05-2007, 10:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great analogy Trisha,

Cute puppy, I want one tooooo!!!!!!

If I have one of those throw myself on the Walmart floor and have a tantrum
can I pallllleeeese have a new puppy..... can I huh, can I...
I promise to take care of it...

My husband says no to another dog too.
He thinks our 75 pound "RottenLab"... is enough.

Give you grandson and new puppy a hug for me,
Colleen
Old 10-05-2007, 10:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Let me tell you...I would have every dog in the world if it weren't for my husband telling me no. I have wanted a puppy for some time now ...and..he had his mind set..that we weren't getting anymore dogs. We currently have a german shepard and a labmation (lab + dalmation) and...he thought that was enough. I tried every trick in the book make he agree that we needed another puppy...and..It didn't work! Until...now!! Although...after he heard the comments that my grandson was making..I think ..i hope he is happy that we got the puppy!!

Hummm...doesn't temper tantrums get you put in time out?? If not..and..they get you a puppy..I should have thrown one months ago!! LOL
Old 10-05-2007, 08:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

What a great share...The puppy is adorable and aren't you a wonderful grandmom to help your grandson to understand and feel the love you have for him. Hugs
Old 10-05-2007, 09:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That is the most adorable puppy. What did you name it? And you are the most adorable gramma.
Old 10-06-2007, 03:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That is an adorable puppy. And don't worry, I have 5 dogs and only two bedrooms Hugs and enjoy the puppy breath (the greatest smell in the world), Marle
Old 10-06-2007, 04:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Smile

That's a good story Trish, thanks.
I have my 3 year old Grand daughter here for the long weekend. She comes here one weekend a month.

I tried to get custody, but her Mother let custody go to the Aunt.
I'm still saddened by the whole darn mess. AS is sitting in jail, and his AGF is in jail too.

The disease of addiction has run rampant through the lives of me and my loved ones.

It's a difficult subject to talk about where Mama and Daddy are right now. It's very difficult. We say prayers and we bless them and everyone that we love. They need help and we need help too. We help each other................one day at a time, every thing's gonna be alright.

A new day is here, and my goal today is to be grateful for each moment.
We have a couple of pups too. We enjoy taking them for walks in the woods.
Old 10-06-2007, 05:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Living in the light

Smile

Your story warms my heart. You, Grandma Trisha have given grandson a beautiful lesson in the meaning of love.
Hugs
Old 10-06-2007, 07:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Adorable pup! What kind is it? I hope he helps your grandson adjust to all the changes in his young life.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
remember to breathe

you are one smart cookie
best of luck
Old 10-07-2007, 07:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Get Caught Reading

Trisha,

I think your one great grandma, too.
What a great story to share.
Big hugs and lots of prayers to you
and your family. Special hugs to the
boy with the new puppy.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:45 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you all for such a great response. I have been having a difficult time answering my grandsons questions and I always try to find a way that makes things easy for him to understand.

For those inquiring about the puppy....He name is Kadin Alibi. The family choose Kadin because it was easy for everyone to remember....We have a Jade (lab-mation), Jadyn (my grandaughter), Kadin (new pup) and Cada (aka Cacadia) german shepard. We selected Alibi because look at his face...he has that "I didn't do it look to him. Anyhow...he is a Shar-pei Lab mix that is just too adorable. The only problem I have now is my grandson wants the puppy to sleep with him..but..unfortunately...we are working with my grandson because he still wets the bed and of course the puppy misses his family and whines a lot during the night. We told my grandson...the puppy can't sleep with him because he is still having accidents...like my grandson...this went really well!! As a matter of fact this was the first time in a year and a half that my grandson didn't pee the bed (saturday)!! Yay!! I am jut making all kinds of progress!!

Again, thank you all for your wonderful responses!!
Old 10-08-2007, 06:30 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Trish,
Your grandson is a lucky little boy. He has someone to really love him at this time in his life, and who cares about his feelings. I hope the puppy does the trick and see that he can love something and have love given back to him.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:43 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

This just really touched my heart. Pups are SUCH a good way to teach kids about so many things... and you have opened my eyes to a few more!

Welcome to the family, Kadin. Jack and Cocoa (co-dependent dogs) send their love.

(There should be a cute pic of my 2 dogs here but I can't get it to load and don't have time to mess with it right now.)

Cats