Parent's pot problem ruining my life

Old 10-01-2007, 07:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Parent's pot problem ruining my life

Both my parent's smoke pot, and it's at the point where I don't even want them in my life anymore. I can't stand the smell of it, even though they go outside when I'm there. I have to make sure they aren't around me when drug tests come up at work, I feel like I have to be paranoid all the time. This is so unfair. Has anybody been through this or have any suggestions.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

welcome to SR conley. i was wondering how old are you?
Old 10-01-2007, 08:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi afraidtosucceed, I'm 38, and still dealing with this problem.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

thanks conley; i wanted to make sure you weren't too young before I gave my opinion. it sounds like your parents vacate the building when they smoke, which means you probably won't get 2nd hand smoke.

it's understandable that you would worry about them, considering pot is illegal and all. i've happened to smoke with a lot of old timers, and for the majority of them they have their lives in order. do your parents lead happy lives? are they able to function on a daily basis? if so, then i would consider their habit like drinking a glass of wine each night.

however, pot is highly carcinogenic, and is harming their lungs. one thing i've learned here at SR is you cannot make people change unless they want to. have you tried having a conversation with them about this?
Old 10-01-2007, 08:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks afraid2succeed, well they both are on disability and being treated for depression. I'd really say they aren't leading happy lives, they smoke multiple times daily.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

then i agree with you that they should stop so they can work on their depression. therapy (and anti-depressants if necessary) will only be confounded by drug use.

maybe you could educate them about how their smoking is exacerbating their depression? provide them a way out that will work for their lifestyle.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If you are 38 and they are on disability, I'm assuming you must be caring for them if you all are living together. If that's the case, you may want to consider other living arrangements. There are plenty of assisted care facilities that will take residents on a sliding income scale.

If this is your situation, I'm sure you might be tempted to come up with a million reasons why getting away from them is "impossible", however, I would suggest this....

We are required to "honor our father and mother" and that includes caring for them if they are infirmed, but that does NOT mean they have to live with you. You are only required to make sure they are cared for and it sounds like you could really benefit from living independently from them.

LH