My soul bleeds.. 1st F2F meeting.. What do I expect?

Old 07-19-2007, 09:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
sixisournumber

Question My soul bleeds.. 1st F2F meeting.. What do I expect?

Here and my area 'Alanon' is the place for counseling apartently. His drug rehab informed me ... they don't treat 'family' only addicts... they recommended Alanon. So what do I expect?? Very anxious!!!

His Unique & Beautiful One
Old 07-19-2007, 09:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
cmc

Hi,
You can expect to find a group of people who have been where you are now, some who haven't and maybe some in the exact same 'place' as yourself. I find meetings to be a safe place to share my story, cry a bit and/or just sit quietly to listen and learn.
All that said...one of the ideas of anon recovery and self growth that I like is to try not to think too much about 'what might happen'...or to even have expectations. This way I'm pleasantly surprised and not likely to miss something wonderful because my hopes are set on something different.
Enjoy your first meeting!
Old 07-19-2007, 09:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

Al-Anon is a great place for friends & family members who have been affect by some else's drinking.

In my f2f meeting, I found the same type of love & acceptance that I found here. I was welcomed by the members, asked to share, but not forced to if I just wanted to listen for a few meetings. I was given a newcomer pkg with brochures about the disease, the program, The 12 Steps, etc. At the end of the meeting the members formed a circle holding hands, prayed the Lord's Prayer and ended the meeting. Afterwards members approached me, asked me if I had questions, offered their phone # as support.

My home group encourages newcomers to try at least 6 meetings before deciding if the program is for you or not.
Wishing you Serenity & Joy,
Rita
Old 07-19-2007, 09:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
sixisournumber

My addiction is a former herion addict & an active meth addict... alcohol is not an added burden... thank God... thanks for the advice guys... do you still think Alanon can help???
Old 07-19-2007, 09:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
sixisournumber

OOOPPPPSSS -- not my addiction -- my ADDICTS addictions...
Old 07-19-2007, 10:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

Alanon and Naranon are for people who are friends and family of alcoholics and drug addicts...
Old 07-19-2007, 10:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
cmc

My son is an addict and Alanon helped me tremendously. The reason I go to a meeting is for myself...so the other person's drug of choice was not an issue for me, nor many others.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
let it grow!

you'll find the tools to detach with love, learn forgiveness and how to take care of yourself, and you'll know who to call when the going gets tough. blessings, k
Old 07-19-2007, 10:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Alanon and Naranon f2f meetings were frightening to me at first, but helpful once I realized that we (the families and friends) were all in the same sad boat. They helped save me from the fear, anger, misery, and frustration of being "up to my neck" in someone else's addiction. They also helped me see myself as Me....not "His Girlfriend" or "His Sister" or "His Anything".....I became Myself, a myself that loved someone with a problem, but no longer bound at the hip and doomed to a miserable life if he didn't turn out to be the man I desperately needed him to be.

His addition is NOT your addiction, as much as your psyche is trying to say that it is. Pay attention to those small things

The loving detachment they taught me saved my life and my sanity.
Hugs and strength to you in this difficult time.

GiveLove