So Darn Sad!

Old 07-11-2007, 10:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So Darn Sad!

Hi friends:

Well believe it or not this post is not about my son! This post is about my 10-year old kitty, Rosie. My poor old Rosie is dying. I've tried and tried to keep her alive, but have decided that it isn't fair to her so will be having her put down today. The vet will come to the house so Rosie won't have to endure the strange car ride and the strange office. She will be in her own little bed.

I am so damn sad. There isn't anything anyone can do because she has kidney failure. I have tried and tried for the past week to force her to eat and drink, but the vet said she is so miserable. She said it would be like us having the worse flu possible, where you want to drink and eat, but the minute you do you throw it all up. That's where we're at now.

I had all this false hope that she would be able to continue on for another few months, but it just isn't fair. I especially had hope when she ate the baby food I bought for her, but then she threw it all up again.

Poor Rosie as sick as she is she manages to get to her litter box.

Gino knows she is sick and all he does is lie down with her in the closet. Rosie never seemed to like him, but maybe they have a silent friendship. Gino has been washing Rosie too.

This is such a heartbreak for me.

Hugs, Devastated
Old 07-11-2007, 10:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Starry Girl

Dev, I am so sorry. Losing a cat is very very hard. Just like losing a member of the family.

I will keep Rosie and the rest of your family in my prayers.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am so sorry. Losing a pet is like losing a family member. I lost my oldest guinea pig ( the one in my picture) last week.
You are doing the right thing. As much as we hate losing our pets, sometimes it's the kindest thing to let them go. I'm very glad for both of you that she will be able to be at home in her own bed when it happens.
I'm sending lots of prayers and hugs your way. Rosie was very lucky to have you.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

(((Dev))) Just sending some hugs. I know the heartbreak. Marle
Old 07-11-2007, 11:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Southern through and through

Dev,

I understand and I'm so sorry. Just this a.m. my poodle was sitting in my lap. She's aging and I know I'm not going to have her forever. I thought about that this a.m. and felt sad, too. And I'm not even to the point where you are today.

I know it's hard because these pets become like family. I'll keep y'all in my prayers.

Big hugs,
Hangin' In
Old 07-11-2007, 11:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'm sorry Dev...you're a good mom to understand her pain.
((((Hugs))))
Cece
Old 07-11-2007, 11:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I'm HOME!!!!!

(((Dev)))....

Old 07-11-2007, 11:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

hugs coming your way
Old 07-11-2007, 11:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Joi

Oh, precious I'm so terribly sorry, but I will tell you what I truly believe. Maybe there is a baby in heaven who asked God for a kitten.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

((((Dev))))
Old 07-11-2007, 11:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Dev,
I am so sorry for your loss. I know how you are feeling. You are losing your baby, all pets are like babys to us. They are better than kids, since they listen and don't talk back.
I will say a prayer for you, and I am sending Hugs to you,
Old 07-11-2007, 11:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

I am so very sorry.
I truly understand. I love my kitties so very much. Spencer was my most awesome cat of all time. He was 13 when he passed of the same malady.

I held him in my arms as the vet did his job and he went with such peace and his being sick was done.

so very sorry.. we do love them so very very much.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
President

I had to have my absolutel most favorite cat..... person (he totally was a human in cat's clothing) put down a couple of years ago. I'm still upset about it. He was just so incredible. Everything about him was bizarre and just perfect. He would snore when he slept... louder then most people. Would guard my car for me. Totally had to have his own chair at dinner. And forget if we had guests. He would push them off his chair if you didn't give him his own. I still miss him. But he suddenly got sick out of no where and just like your baby, his kidneys shut down! That was one of the worst days of my life!

Sending hugs and prayers!!!!!
Old 07-11-2007, 05:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

((((((Dev))))))) I know exactaly how you feel. I just posted a couple of weeks ago about my kitty. She was so sick I had to have her put down as well. She was the best kitty. I thought she should have lived longer......she was 14 yrs. old. I really miss her. She always met me on the basement stairs when she heard the garage door go up. She was sweet. I'm so sorry about Rosie. I'm sure she had a very good life with you and you will have fond memories of her.

Much love and hugs..............Lois
Old 07-11-2007, 05:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

i am so sorry about rosie, i amsorry you had to do this.hugs,hope
Old 07-11-2007, 05:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Power is not having to respond

aw dev, I am sorry about your kitty.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:15 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

((((((Dev)))))))

I'm so sorry...my Ralphie is getting old, too. He's still having his playful moments, but they're really rare these days and I can't imagine him not being around. I can see that his day is coming closer though. My heart and thoughts are with you and Rosie.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:22 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

So sorry to hear about your cat. Both my cats Jack and Buddy (aged 19 and 17 when they died) got kidney failure too.

one of them got it suddenly and had to be put to sleep. the other one I kept alive for a while by hydrating him interveniously twice a day.

At least she is getting to die at home peacefully. I'm sure she had a nice life.

(((hugs)))
Old 07-11-2007, 05:33 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

(((Dev))) I am so sorry. It is heartbreaking when our furry family members are sick. I know how difficult that decision is, but you are freeing her from her pain. Big hugs for you and Rosie.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:34 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Awww Dev,
I totally understand. I had to put my beloved Groucho down at age 17, and then 2 yrs later her partner Ninja who was almost 18. Both had kidney disease. I gave them both intravenous fluids for awhile to help, and then we lost the battle.

They had been with me thru my divorce, my move, my crazy ex bf. They were my example of unconditional love (with a teeensy bit of cattitude...)

A friend sent this to me when I was struggling with my grief:

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...