gone again

Old 06-27-2007, 08:00 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Yes, there are success stories here.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:32 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

me i have been off and on with my addict for about three and a half years. i have never stopped loving him. i had to leave him about two years ago and move far away from him (ny to Fl) was the only way to get some of my sanity back.

you see i couldn't watch him hurting himself without throwing myself in the way of him hitting rock bottom (in retrospect of course) i honesty just couldn't take it any more. i couldn't stay, it was just too hard for me (so i thought).

i have been going to meetings for about a year or so since the last time he relapsed. i realized that he will always be an addict and that i will always love him for the man he is when he is not using. but his addiction is not mine to own. i have my own recovery to work on.

my loved one was an addict way before i ever met him. he has been using some form of a drug/drink since he was about 15 he is going to be 33. everyday he is clean he is beating his addiction. everyday he is working his recovery he is beating his addiction. but he has been clean since late oct early nov.

the one thing about recovery it is worked best in today. you don't have to have a time schedule to make any decision whether to stay or go. you will know what is best for you; when it is best for you.

going to meetings and having a face to face conversation with someone can really help. my group has been so helpful to me and i would be lost without my sponsor. keep coming here and learn as much as you can about addiction and your own recovery.

my best
Old 06-27-2007, 08:55 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

If you don't have kids with this man, don't
Why do you tolerate this behavior from him?
Old 06-28-2007, 07:36 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I do have kids with him.And I am working on taking care of them and me first.I see now his use is not my fault.I can't do anything to change him.But yes I love him.Since reading all the posts I have learned alot.I told him ,he is not to do drugs at our home,nor will I allow him in if he is high.Since telling him that and I did not cry when telling him,I felt strong for the first time.He has Signed up for a methadone program,I am waiting to see how that works .I am also looking for a job,and helping my kids relax and enjoy life again.It is so hard at times,But with or without him I'm a mom and that is the most important thing now.I do hope it is with him,but either way one day at a time I will make it.By the way meetings do help.Thanks to all
Old 06-28-2007, 07:45 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
remember to breathe

being here in SR will do wonders for the soul!!!! read read read......I can't begin to tell you how much better I feel since joining SR. Trust in the wisdom you get from here, its all from experience not guess work. And by the way...welcome!
Old 06-28-2007, 09:58 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

Yea for you. You sound like you are figuring this out. It is not easy when you have children. You must be a wonderful mom, putting your kids 1st. Hopefully, you have created a home where they are able to express themselves about the situation. Kids know even when we think we are sheltering them.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:17 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Debpug,

I am proud of you for saying "not at home", but methadone is still a drug (opiod) and is still addictive. Its kind of like giving up Barcadi 151 for whiskey (only 80 proof).

Also please say "not at all", rather than "not at home" so you can force the issue.