Language of Letting Go - May 24

Old 05-24-2007, 03:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Language of Letting Go - May 24

You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

Letting the Cycles Flow

Life is cyclical, not static. Our relationships benefit when we allow them to follow their own natural cycles.

Like the tide ebbs and flows, so do the cycles in relationships. We have periods of closeness and periods of distance. We have times of coming together and times of separating to work on individual issues.

We have times of love and joy, and times of anger.

Sometimes, the dimensions of relationships change as we go through changes. Sometimes, life brings us new friends or a new loved one to teach us the next lesson.

That does not mean the old friend disappears forever. It means we have entered a new cycle.

We do not have to control the course of our relationships, whether these be friendships or love relationships. We do not have to satisfy our need to control by imposing a static form on relationships.

Let it flow. Be open to the cycles. Love will not disappear. The bond between friends will not sever. Things do not remain the same forever, especially when we are growing and changing at such a rapid pace.

Trust the flow. Take care of yourself, but be willing to let people go. Hanging on to them too tightly will make them disappear.

The old adage about love still holds true: If it's meant to be, it will be. And if you love someone, let them go. If they come back to you, the love is yours.

Today, I accept the cyclical nature of life and relationships. I will strive to go with the flow. I will strive for harmony with my own needs and the needs of the other person.

From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie ©1990, Hazelden Foundation.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Life is ever changing and seems to like to change just when I am putting my feet up and getting comfortable with how it is now. Sometimes my life changes so fast I feel like I have whiplash.

But change is not a bad thing, it's part of growth and the flow of the universe. What if the sun just stayed where it was? What if the tides stopped and May lasted forever?

What lasts are the memories we choose to keep, the good things we learn along the way and the love we exchange with each other. It's all good.

Hugs