son's 18th day in hospital

Old 05-13-2007, 08:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

son's 18th day in hospital

After 2 weeks of sitting with son at hospital, I'm going back to work Monday. I will feel torn while there, but there is so much to do with end of year at school.

Son is getting stronger physically. He can't stand or walk yet, but he is using his arms more and goes beyond what the doctors ordered. He scares me with his risky, stubborn attempts and irrational behavior.

His irrational behavior is becoming more frightening to me. I spoke with nurses today about trying to figure out what is wrong. His speech is slurred and often is not understandable at all. He says very strange things and is almost paranoid. He wanted a phone last night, picked it up and had a "conversation" asking for a cab.
He rambles about jobs, dogs, stops a stranger and ask about the friends that are coming (which are not real). He was looking fora retirement party for someone.
He asked his step-dad if he was going to be shipped out in the reserves, which he isn't even in. He seems to have short term memory loss, too.

He "looks" for things which could be of value such as a shiny object on the floor and rambled about the raid that happened by a "bunch of homeless guys like him that didn't have anywhere else to go. (Now that hurt and the old guilty button was pushed.)

I want the paid meds reduced and have voiced this to the nurses. We rarely see a doctor. No insurance. The incoherentness seems to be getting worse. I'm sure he isn't taking all of the pain meds brought to him and may be "saving" them for another time or purpose.

He will be assessed tomorrow to see if he is ready to go to a nursing home, but he's had a temperature today, so they probably won't take him tomorrow. His "dad" who is trying to return to his life after 12 years of absence, will be sitting with himn tomorrow while I'm at work.

Keep him in your prayers. I have a funny feeling that this situation with the accident won't turn into a happy ending.

Hope all of you had a happy Mother's Day.
Washbe
Old 05-13-2007, 08:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Think positive and Stay Strong---sending out prayers!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
MothersDay11.jpeg (25.4 KB, 76 views)
Old 05-13-2007, 08:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hug giver-outer!

Prayers and hugs going out! Stay strong and take care of you! His HP is watching over him.

Old 05-13-2007, 10:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
On a tear

Prayers going up Washbe.... (((...))) that you will gain clarity and you son will gain good mental and physical health.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Keeping all of you in my prayers. Hugs, Marle
Old 05-14-2007, 03:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Praying for all of you. Hope things turn out well.
Old 05-14-2007, 04:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

this could either be infection or a reaction to pain meds, also I think I remember you saying he had a mental illness? He could be having a break[mental illness and pain meds don't mix] Start asking for a psych eval before they discharge him, and blood work to rule out sepsis, see if they can wean down the pain meds and keep us posted. You both are in my prayers..Marian
Old 05-14-2007, 04:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Get Caught Reading

(((((Washbe)))))

Was thinkin' bout ya yesterday. Hope your able to rest.
Praying for you and your family, everyday.

Old 05-14-2007, 05:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
let it grow!

prayers, washbe. k
Old 05-14-2007, 05:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Insurance or not, he is supposed to be receiving responsible care. Call the on call social worker and voice your concerns, ask to speak to the treating MD or the charge nurse. They know what they are supposed to be doing!
Old 05-14-2007, 06:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

(((washbe))))
I missed your previous post about your son's accident. I am so terribly sorry for the pain your family is going through .

I will keep you and your son in my prayers . Miracles happen every day !

Hugs,

Cats
Old 05-14-2007, 07:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My uncle who was dying of cancer was on morphine. A few times when the pain was bad he might get to much and halucinate. Lizards, dead loved ones, that he was young again and riding his Indian with his girl. Could be some brain damage too and his memory issues sound like that. Aother unlce was in a auto accident and all but died. Massive head injuries ect and now after 15 years he has bounced back to about a 15 yo level and has memory issues.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:46 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
rozied

Dear Washbe, Patchoulli ( Marian ) had some good things to say in her post.
My heart goes out to you & your family. It is so hard when your children are adults and they have problems.
Love & Prayers,
Diane
Old 05-14-2007, 08:00 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Living in the light

I second what cailee said about the social worker and treating MD. The professionals
are the ones to evaluate and treat son.
Sending prayers and hugs.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

(((washbe)))

So sorry to hear about your son's accident ... I know how draining it is "living" at the hospital. My son was also on massive pain meds after a devastating accident, but was weaned off of them after four months. He didn't exhibit the irrational behavior you describe in your son, but my dad did when on morphine after open heart surgery.

Did your son apply for medicaid? He may be eligible and depending on the state, coverage could be retroactive. I would also insist on some further evaluation to determine what is causing this.

Sending much love and prayers to both of you
Old 05-14-2007, 05:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
cmc

****{washbe}}}}
I'm so sorry for all the troubles and health problems with your son, and hope you can get some rest during this difficult time.
prayers and hugs,
cmc
Old 05-14-2007, 06:05 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Power is not having to respond

Hi Wash,
You have so much on you right now. I didn't find the post about the accident, but my heart goes out to you.
I too, wonder if he's halucinating due to the medication. Only the doctors can diagnose that.
I hope your heart finds peace through all this turmoil.
WW
Old 05-14-2007, 06:31 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

(((Washbe))) Your son remains in my prayers. I agree with the others to talk to the doctor and see what is happening to him.

Huge Hugs
Old 05-14-2007, 06:42 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
grateful rca

i'll keep your son in my prayers, i believe that miracles do happen too. keep the faith, and you all are in my prayers
Old 05-14-2007, 06:51 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

my prayers are still with you & your son.prayers work miracles.hugs,hope