My brother the heroin addict

Old 04-28-2007, 08:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My brother the heroin addict

Hello all,

I found this website awhile ago, and I have all of you to thank for telling me about the Salvation Army rehabilitation facility. I've lived here for most of my life, yet I never knew we had one right here in our city.

Long, long story, short, my brother is a heroin addict (at least that's his current DOC). He is currently 33 years old, and has been an addict in one way or another for most of his life. He has gone through numerous treatment facilities, always eventually turning back to drugs.

He was kicked out by his girlfriend late 2006, and had no job, no money, etc... My parents have enabled him in more ways than I can count, in attempts to "help" him. I think they know in their minds that it doesn't help, yet being the addict that he is, he is a master manipulator and liar. He has stolen from them, lied, and completely taken advantage of them in the past.

About four months ago, we were able to get him into a facility to detox him, and then got him into Salvation Army. He was not at all happy to be going from one facility to another, but he obviously didn't have a choice (did I mention he was also charged with heroin possession prior to detox?).

Salvation Army is about as close as we can get to "comprehensive treatment" for him, given that he has no health insurance. And the fact that he would be there for awhile gave the rest of us a break from his drama and constant pestering for money.

Once he got acclimated to the environment, I started seeing my brother again. And in "seeing", I mean seeing the real person lurking below the addiction. It has been so long since I've seen that person, and I allowed myself for the first time in years and years, to be hopeful, as did my parents.

You probably know where this is going. He relapsed while in treatment, and was kicked out. Luckily, he was able to get back in, but my hopes are shattered, and I'm back to feeling that he will be one of those who never beats this addiction. The news of his relapse devastated my parents as well. He was out of Salvation Army for about two weeks before getting back in, and during that time got pulled over for a revoked driver's license (driving the car of the guy he was staying with - a total burnout). So, more drama, even in the short period of time that he was out. And of course, my parents swooped in to the rescue.

The news of all of this is starting to impact my dad's health. He actually had a nose bleed while talking to him on the phone, and said he can even feel that his blood pressure is up. He is overweight, and not taking care of himself. Over and over, he has said that he is "done", yet he cannot walk away.

I don't know what I'm looking for here, but I garner strength from your stories, and I know my brother wouldn't be in Salvation Army had I not found these boards. Thank you so much for that.

I will hope for his recovery, but at this point, I need to step away from the situation. I can't deal with him right now.

On a side note, we all suspect that my brother has underlying depression/anxiety issues, yet these are not addressed through this program. For those who don't have insurance and need to have these issues addressed (which I think is vital for successful recovery), what do you do?

Thanks for listening.

Jenny
Old 04-28-2007, 01:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Jenny, my prayers go out for your brother. My son went to a couple of Salvation Army Rehabs and they were wonderful. He too has other disorders that need to be addressed, but nothing can be done until they are clean and sober.

I'm glad to see you and hope you stick around a while.

Hugs
Old 04-28-2007, 05:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Get Caught Reading

(((((Jenny))))))

Hello and welcome to sr.
I'm glad your found us, but sorry for the reason.
I'm Linda and my addict is my 25 yo son.
His doc was heroin for about 5 years. After I pressed charges for robbing my home, and he spent 6 months in jail, he was released from jail and from the heroin addiction.
Today he is a walking time bomb who smokes weed and drinks alcohol.
You'd think I'd be grateful he's not shooting up, but the pain and rage I still witness, along with the pot and drinking....well, he's still an addict.
I have given him numbers and addresses to Salvation Armys near where he lives, (with dad who is also an alcoholic) but he refuses thus far.
He's a wanted man and doesn't want to put his name "out there".
Arrrggggg!
Recently, he has fractured his hand, his dad fell on him and beat him up and now he has torn ligaments in his leg, and today I hear his voice on the phone and he can barely speak. I asked if he did some screaming with dad last night? His response...
well yeah.
He also says that dad made him so made that instead of hitting dad, he hit himself in the face and blacked his own eye. Crazy? Just about.
I got off the phone and just cried and prayed to God for help.
It's all you can do about your brother too, sweetie.
Detach with love. Sobriety is up to him.
Glad your here. Take a read around and others will be along to welcome you soon.
Sending prayers up for you, your brother, and your parents.
I feel for all of you.
Old 04-28-2007, 06:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
grateful rca

hi, welcome to sr.

i'm a recovering addict and i agree with ann, depression and anxiety are also symptoms of crashing and withdrawal. once i got clean and began to work a plan of recovery, my depression and anxiety began to slowly go away. they do have counselors in most facilities, but if not maybe he can see a doctor if possible. i'll keep you and your family in my prayers
Old 04-28-2007, 06:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

glad you came back. i am really sorry things did not work out for your brother. just do the best that you can & please keep coming back. prayers for your brothe r & your family & you.