a serious question

Old 04-04-2007, 11:15 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Just plainly tired

Teke, flying isn't so bad. I actaully love when we take off and land. The in between of those things are boring.

As for Beaches, NYC beachs SUCK big time, dirty, green.. cant see your toes and things floating all over the place. I hate going to the beach unless I am visiting puerto rico.

Jewel
Old 04-04-2007, 11:43 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jewelz View Post
Teke, flying isn't so bad. I actaully love when we take off and land. The in between of those things are boring.
As for Beaches, NYC beachs SUCK big time, dirty, green.. cant see your toes and things floating all over the place. I hate going to the beach unless I am visiting puerto rico. Jewel
NJ beaches aren't much better. I can drive an hour and half to the beach or an hour and half to the mountains...mountains win everytime! The only thing good about the Jersey beaches are the boardwalks at night. They are quite fun! Now, if we really want beaches, we should go to the Virgin Islands, but then none of us are rich enough :-)
Gwen, can you check with your agent friend about mountain retreats? Also, sounds like a good idea to check with Historyteach about how hard this is to put together. I doubt you will be able to get a head count until the location is decided. I know that's a chicken and egg situation...you can't get info without numbers, but you can't get numbers without location.
Actually, everyone's ideas are great...the B&B, the Betty Ford retreat, etc. Do you hate me yet, Gwen? :-)
Love, SM
Old 04-04-2007, 11:49 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Not at all! I will give her a call. My question is, what would be a central location for everyone. Thats why I was asking for the poll of everyone and where they are at. Also I dont want to get info on a town that is either too large or too small for the number in attendance. I will PM Historyteach and find out how she did the last get together.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:02 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

why reinvent the wheel?
we could all meet at a Naranon convention. For example:

August 30 - September 2, 2007
Nar-Anon World Convention
“Embracing the Fellowship”
Henry Gonzalez Convention Center
San Antonio, Texas.
Details and flyers for conventions on the Naranon web site.
They have everything already set up, just a matter of picking a location.
jeepgirl
Old 04-04-2007, 10:08 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
grateful rca

well im in atlanta. i just wished i didn't have to fly
Old 04-05-2007, 04:35 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

teke -

we'll just have to have a regional retreat. Flying anywhere is tough for me right now - too many kids to keep track of. One of us needs to win the lottery.....wouldn't it be great to just send everyone a plane ticket for an all inclusive retreat!

Donna
Old 04-05-2007, 04:37 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
grateful rca

light,

and if i could win the lottery, thats exactly what i would do. great idea.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:39 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Thats my issue, any farther than NC and a weekend trip and I cannot go
Old 04-05-2007, 01:24 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

I have PM'd HistoryTeach and no word just yet. I just wanted to drop a quick line to let ya'll know Im still on it.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:01 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
grateful rca

i'm with cinder on this one too, so far, i can only do a wkend trip, just to let yall know, so that when i get there you'll know that i might have to go early.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:34 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Cinder -

where are you located? I'm going to Atlanta in August and I am definitely meeting Teke. Wouldn't it be awesome to have a FTF mtg?

Love ya! Donna
Old 04-05-2007, 02:51 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
grateful rca

Originally Posted by lightseeker View Post
Cinder -

where are you located? I'm going to Atlanta in August and I am definitely meeting Teke. Wouldn't it be awesome to have a FTF mtg?

Love ya! Donna

yah!!!!!!!!! light, im near the airport, where are you going in atl.? i mean what part of atl, do you know yet
Old 04-05-2007, 08:47 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Warrior

What kinda money we talking about here, I need to start now so I can go too, I know it all depends where, but just an idea, it;s been a real long time since I left my house for any real trip anywhere. peace-blackbird
Old 04-06-2007, 01:05 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
To Life!

Gwen,
PM me the wording for any type of a poll you want, and I'll help get it up for you.
We planned two SR retreats. The first was in NYC, and was a huge success for the small number of people who were able to come. We got the name of a decent and reletavely cheap hotel from another member; got numbers; people paired up to share rooms, and rented them individually.

We set up a daily plan for Friday night; Saturday day and night; and Sunday day, leaving Sunday afternoon. We followed it mostly, but, did make slight adjustments. We went to lots of meetings and saw the city inside and out due to our resident NYC member **** o'riely!

All the planning was done here online. I spoke with the former owner, and had tee shirts made using the SR logo. It was a small gathering of @ 7 of us and was a WONDERFUL time!

The California retreat never did happen. There were many reasons, but, a bit of sabatoge by a very sick member here, (some are sicker than others!), and the sale of SR made communications difficult. Also, the long term planning needed for a large gathering created problems. People who offered to chair committees dropped out; others who offered to take care of specific things disappeared and didn't come back, so we didn't know what was happening.

After reflecting on the whole thing, and in total honesty, I think small, regional retreats are the best if you're going to plan it from head to toe. Nothing will stop someone from coming from across the planet if they choose to, but, to try and plan a huge event proved difficult. If that's what you want, why not piggy back on a convention, like someone planned, and set aside an afternoon just for the SR folks? Get the best of both without the headaches.

I wish you well, and hope this works out. I'd love to meet more SR folks too!

Shalom!
Old 04-06-2007, 06:12 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Thanks Teach! I will try what you said. I will PM you the poll I would like to see on MOnday. I will also try to find out some of the conventions in everyones area and start from there. I will PM you my number so I can talk with you more at length of the details of the retreat that you had planned.

As many of you know here I have to go in to jail just for the weekend, so Im leaving early today so I can be home early Sunday with my kids for Easter. I will be back on line Monday. This will give me time to set up questions and how Id like the poll to go. It will give me time to start making plans for the retreats too. Instead on one place, I think several locations would benifit the members too. Maybe two loocations along the East coast, One around the south, one for the middle, and one for the West coast? I dont know yet, I'll think on it.

Thanks for the info and look forward to talking to you soon.

As far as the cost ladies, it will depend on the location, the size of the gathering, cost of living, etc,etc.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:21 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lightseeker View Post
Cinder -

Love ya! Donna

Im in Central Florida. Im about 8 hours from Atlanta. August may be doable before school starts. My kids go spend a few weeks with my aunt in Kentucky and we meet part way with them a few hours south of ATlanta, I can make their pick up in Atlanta