Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

Today's Gift - 6/17 We can stop making mountains out of molehills

Old 06-17-2006, 10:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Today's thought is:
We can stop making mountains out of molehills.
Learning to let go of the choices other people make takes away much of the angst we have grown accustomed to. Letting go of the outcome of all experiences, even those that involve us, frees our minds from the needless worry that keeps us stuck. The more we focus on a problem, our own or someone else's, the bigger it gets.
Why do we worry so much? For some of us, it has become a habit. Lucky for us, by sharing the Twelve Step journey we can learn how not to worry. The solution is to have faith that our Higher Power will take care of us. And the others in our lives have their Higher Power to care for them. Learning to give up our old ways of "doing" life unburdens us profoundly. The time we'll gain will allow us to do what we really need to do.
My perspective today will be healthy. I'll let go and let God.

Old 06-17-2006, 12:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Very true, so hard to do. Thank you!
Old 06-17-2006, 01:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Minx,

The message here is great -- however....

I've always disliked this phrase as I've seen it used so much as a way to invalidate feelings. "Oh, you're just making a mountain out of a molehill." I heard that sentiment tons as a child, including being accused of being too sensitive or being a Sarah Bernhardt. Meanwhile, inside, I was hurting so very much.

Did I grow up to be a worrier? Big time. But now the way I try to calm that worry voice is by being being gentle with it, having compassion for how I came by it honestly (rather than judging or invalidating it), using techniques like meditation, focusing on perspective of how things have changed, and trusting in myself to handle whatever comes up, reminding myself of the many times I have, and reaching out for support -- not to mention the practical skills of chunking things down so 'problems' aren't overwelming.

I still get overcome by worry (as I've shared here plenty!), but am so much better than I was.

best
gf
Old 06-17-2006, 02:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
grateful rca

yes i do have a hard time letting god, but if i don't try then i have no out.
i do know that i can't hold on and let go at the same time cause for me that causes me major confusion.

i've tried to run my life most of my life and then when i look back, i want to wonder how i got into so many messes.

i know that god loves me and i know that he is concerned about what goes on in my life, but i also know that he can't do anything to help me if i don't get out of his way and let him.

i believe that his plan for my life has to be much better for me than my own plan, i believe that he knows how to get me to that better life but hell stand by and let me try to do it myself and when i get sick and tired of tring to do for myself what only he can do, then i'll move out of his way and let him fix things, one day at a time i am tring to let him have his was with my life and the issues that i have, thank you for letting me rattle this out and i hope that somebody can understand what is just said.

i know what i am feeling right now, just can't always find the right words to say it.