Kicked to the curb big-time and crying

Old 05-26-2006, 09:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Kicked to the curb big-time and crying

My cousin, who is my only family member, arrived in Phoenix last Saturday. I picked him up at the airport and we spent the night there before heading back to my home. I had planned hotel stays in San Diego (2 nights) and Palm Desert (1 night), along with a side trip (just 25 minutes from my home) to Mexico where he could get his presciption meds for cheap. The rooms were on me, as were most of the meals.

Long story, short .... we get to Palm Desert Thursday around 2 p.m. and check into our rooms. I took him to dinner at the best seafood restaurant in town. He starts scoping out the waiter who he thinks is gay. (My cuz is gay.) So the waiter comes to our table and cuz starts kinda flirting with the guy. Frankly, I KNOW tons of gays and the guy didn't strike me as a "flamer." Even if he was gay, he might have a partner. He was a friendly guy to me as well, and ended up inviting both of us to his sister's wedding and reception on Saturday. Mexican people are very gregarious and hospitable in this part of the country.

Anyway, cuz and I started trying to figure out what type of excuse we could give "Boozer" (that's what we call my AH) so I could stay. Fast forward to Friday morning ... cuz acts as if I wasn't invited, and informs me that I can drive back home alone, he'll get a rental car, and then get the bus from Palm Desert to Phoenix on Sunday so he can make his Monday morning flight back to the East Coast.

This was the one person I thought I could count on to stand by me. I had made plans to come back to my house early Friday evening, make him dinner, then take him out on the Colorado River on my jet ski. He dumped me for a maybe-gay waiter, a possible roll in the hey with the guy, and a wedding of 200 guests he's never met before and will probably never see again!!!!

I'm in shock. He left the meds he purchased in Mexico here, along with some of his clothes. His reason for staying behind was he was going to do something "Wild and crazy, which I've never done."

Does anyone else out there think this really stinks big time???? What am I, a moving target for anyone I come in contact with???

P.S. - I got home to find Boozer totally blasted and fully loaded up with plenty of "beverages" for the long weekend. There's other ugly stuff to this story, but I won't bore you with the details concerning my loser of a husband ....
Old 05-26-2006, 09:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My gay friend does this type of thing all the time. But...he is not my friend anymore.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Prod -

sorry to hear about your cuz's antics..bummer..

hope you can make it to Phx when Minnie is here..we can have a gathering of the AZ peeps..
Old 05-26-2006, 10:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Gulp....that sounded kind of prejudicial on my part...I sure didn't mean it that way. We get dumped like that for all sorts of things...like drugs. And that's what my friend was doing,....drinking, drugging and dating promiscously. Both straight and gay people do that. Men and women.
Old 05-27-2006, 05:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Alcohol is a cruel mistress!!!

I aggree that was really rude. Here u were footing the bills and hanging out with ur cousin and u were thrown over for a stranger. I would be very miffed and I would not go out of my way to show him a good time again. I hope his fling was worth it at the expense of his cousin! Try to plan something outside of the home so you don't have to be a spectator of ur husbands. Take care and keep ur chin up!!!
Old 05-27-2006, 05:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It was rude at the very least. The truth remains the same, you can only rely on yourself. This may be a blessing. It wasn't until I realized that my life consisted of the crumbs left over of everyone else doing whatever they wanted, that I reached the level of self disgust to change. You can rid your life of all these people. Your cousin has his own agenda and may not realize the status of your life, he may not realize howmuch you counted on him. It really isn't that big a deal in a normal life. It is rude. What makes it so tramatizing is your life. I would use this event as a measure that maybe it's time to make some decisions that make your need less. There is a big world out there waiting for you to be spontanious and have fun. Whos' life is altered because of you and your effort? Nobody. Do something for yourself. Why do you explain yourself to your A? Why do you need an excuse? The door to the birdcage is open.
Old 05-27-2006, 08:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
One brief hour...

I'm sorry this happened Prodigal and of course, your cousin was very inconsiderate. As stated, he had his own selfish agenda and his actions are not a reflection on you. Try and make the most out of this weekend regardless of these blown plans. You don't have to sit around with AH and his booze stash and be miserable. If I lived near you, we'd be out and enjoying the day right now dang it!!!!
Old 05-27-2006, 08:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes it stinks....very sorry that you had this happen to you.
I would bet it will be a long time before this relative has the
nerve to call upon you for help again....
Try to get out and do something for yourself this weekend
don't let the AH's drinking spoil your weekend...Hugs
Old 05-27-2006, 09:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pmaslan
Yes it stinks....very sorry that you had this happen to you.
I would bet it will be a long time before this relative has the
nerve to call upon you for help again....

.....or not! There are selfish people in the world, and I seem to be encountering them all the time...or maybe I have just lost my "tolerance" for them.

Sorry your "visit" was a bust.......sounds like it would have been a great time!