AH taking Zoloft...

Old 05-11-2006, 07:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AH taking Zoloft...

Well, here's the latest development in the life of Marmee...My AH has had a problem with anxiety for the past several years. He has had panic attacks while driving, he gets very protective of the kids-always afraid they're going to get hurt, etc. Finally, after much nagging he went to the Dr. about 8 months ago and she prescribed him Zoloft. Well, he only took it for 3 days and stopped. He stopped because he didn't want to mix drinking w/ the medicine so he chose to drink. After spending the day yesterday being very hungover, he told me he wants to quit drinking.--SHOCK-- Well, he told me the reason he drinks is because it makes him feel less anxious and he wants to start taking Zoloft again instead of drinking.--DOUBLE SHOCK-- What do you all think? Could taking the Zoloft really help his addiction? The change in his attitude really has me perplexed. Could it really be the result of my change in attitude? Any input would be greatly appreciated, as always.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
One brief hour...

After spending the day yesterday being very hungover, he told me he wants to quit drinking.--SHOCK-- Well, he told me the reason he drinks is because it makes him feel less anxious and he wants to start taking Zoloft again instead of drinking.--DOUBLE SHOCK-- What do you all think? Could taking the Zoloft really help his addiction?
I'm not sure I'm the best one to advise on this, but I will share my opinion and my own experience...

Less than a year into our marriage, my AH began the anxiety attack thing. He was prescribed Paxil (similar to Zoloft and NOT recommended by me). He drank while on the Paxil, but he drank less. The Paxil had terrible side effects on him-- made him really angry, restless, he'd have like 10 minute blackouts and exhibited totally irrational behavior. These are documented side effects of that drug. He stopped taking it b/c of this and began to drink as usual.

When my AH's drinking was really heavy and spiraling out of control, his "panic attacks" subsided. It was back last November or so when the anxiety attacks returned w/a vengeance. Coincidentally, the attacks started returning as he was attempting to scale down his drinking. He began seeing a county shrink and was prescribed Xanax for his anxiety and Seroquel for pychosis. These drugs have not had any visible negative side effects that I've noticed. My AH still drinks (he has not for 2 days now in an effort to go dry, but I still consider him "untreated"). His anxiety issues have calmed down a great deal however.

With all that being said, it's hard to gauge which came first- the chicken or the egg??? Did the "anxiety problems" always exist and the drinking simply served to medicate it or did the drinking in and of itself bring about the "anxiety problems." Your AH trying Zoloft may very well be a good thing for him in the beginning, but I think he still needs to seek help for his alcohol addiction which is either a big part of the "anxiety animal" or a different animal all unto itself. I don't know which it is honestly. He should seek treatment for the alcohol regardless and also seek some great counseling IMO. All the best and I hope things work out for you.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You would be surprised the reasons why people drink, it's often self medication. I would encourage him to get back on Zoloft and he needs to understand it might take at least 3-4 weeks to see a full effect. If Zoloft doesn't work, there are other options as well.

It is all a process....
Old 05-11-2006, 09:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well, he has always drank quite a bit. The point in time when the anxiety and the increase in drinking came about was 6 yrs. ago when his father passed away in an auto accident. This is where the fear of driving comes in and the over protectiveness w/ the kids. He will even do maintenance checks on his sisters car before she drives the girls anywhere. I think he does need some kind of therapy for this and the drinking--possibly grief counseling? I don't know. I know from reading the pamphlet in the Zoloft bottle that it takes atleast 3 weeks before the medicine is actually in your system, so I guess I'll just wait and see if he will stay on it long enough to see if it helps him or not. It didn't seem to have a lot of side effects(the sexual side effects kinda concern me-for my own selfish reasons ) but it does seem that sometimes the side effects are worse than the illness. I have never taken medication long term for anything, so I'm a little dense about it...heck, I get a buzz from a Tylenol!
Old 05-11-2006, 09:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If your AH has depression and anxiety, meds can help relieve those symptoms.
However, since he has zoloft already I can only assume that he is under
the supervision of a doctor. I do believe these meds can help him to quit
drinking if he accompanies them with the neccessary therapy required.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The Dr. that prescribed the Zoloft is our family Dr.--not a mental health professional. I think a therapist would be most beneficial in combination w/ the medicine.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes, I agree, I think therapy would be a great combo. Also, he needs to be in a recovery program like AA. Look for an addictions counselor.

My AH is also bipolar and when the bipolar is out of control, the drinking urge really steps in. THey will do anything to calm themselves.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

I remember reading that an interesting side effect noted during clinical tests with Welbutrin was some smokers quit smoking. It's not uncommon for some DRs to prescribe Welbutrin as a stop smoking aid due to alleviating anxiety associated with quitting. HOWEVER... I do have a horror story to share, take what you want.

My ex began taking ADs and drank heavily on top of them. You think she was honest with the DR. about how much she drank? You think she was honest about it being her drinking that was causing her depression?

That poor woman was such a mess from the combination of ADs and drinking she didn't know which end was up. I think it actually accelerated the progression of the disease. I see the combination as a recipe for disaster.

The fact that they have to guess on the type and amount, and then change it to something else if needed screams to me the medical community is still experimenting with ADs. Couple years ago my Family Practitioner suggested I take them due to the stress continued lay offs at my employer was causing me! I would rather find a more stable job actually. (And I did BTW)

I feel people with actual brain chemistry problems benefit greatly from proper diagnosis and proper treatment including the closely monitored prescribing of ADs. I think people who are depressed due to situational stress could do better by focusing on the cause and not treating the symptoms.

I think mixing ADs with an existing mood altering chemical dependency is down right dangerous.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks, Jazzman. Your post has really given me a lot to ponder about the situation. The one thing that does give me a little hope is the fact that taking the meds and drinking with them seem to scare him. That's why he stopped taking the Zoloft before-the urge to drink was greater than the desire to feel "normal"...I don't think he would mix the two. Then again, I never thought he would do a lot of the things he has done. Maybe the best thing to do is be cautiously optimistic??
Old 05-11-2006, 03:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

Well I'm no expert but if he stopped the Zoloft today, then started drinking tomorrow.... (or visa versa).....
It takes weeks if not months, (maybe) for brain chemistry to return to normal after stopping ADs and absolutely takes months after stopping drinking, (depending on the sustained BAC levels).

I would want to be involved in these conversations with his Doctor and be asking all kinds of questions but then again, you can't control this anymore than the drinking so.... what a pickle! Ugh!

Good luck!
Old 05-11-2006, 09:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
harleygirl92156

I may be wrong, but doesn't depression sometimes if not often accompany alcoholism???

My hubby was on Zoloft for a short time while drinking and Lexapro for a couple years while drinking. Never saw that they had much affect on the amount he drank or his actions or mood while drunk. The only difference was he wasn't a moody while sober.

I will say that 4 months after he entered recovery, the doctor weaned him off the Lexapro and he hasn't taken or needed anything since. It appears sobriety cleared up the depression???
Old 05-11-2006, 09:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Alcohol is a depressant and can cause you to feel depressed. Therefore, when you take an antidepressant with alcohol, you really don't get the full effect of the antidepressant, they kind of cancel each other out.

Anxiety often accompanies depression, very common combo.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:36 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My AH was on Zoloft for two weeks and it upset his stomach so badly he just stopped taking it. Never went back to the doc. In fact, blamed the doc for giving him the "wrong" medication. It takes time to find out what works for each person. His excuse was just to stop taking any type of med to help his emotional problems, deny anything was wrong, blame the medical profession, and resume his own "medication" as in drinking himself into an early grave.

So be it.
Old 05-12-2006, 02:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Meds are not the answer for a drinking alcoholic. In my experience, any competent doctor dealing with the still drinking alcoholic or one in the early stages of recovery is going to diagnose him/her as bi-polar because of the vicious mood swings.

It is best that the alcoholic get some time away from alcohol before those determinations can be made. Alcoholism doesn't necessarily cause mental & emotional problems, but it can compound them. Or vice versa. IMO, one of the things that has gone wrong with today's treatment industry is that they are a bit too free with the meds.
Old 05-12-2006, 02:58 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I believe that all people dependent on alcohol are self medicating. That is just my opinion. I have had this discussion with people who disagree. I believe that from the time a person takes that first drink, they think they have found a "medicine " that works. I also think that people smoke pot as an antianxiety. People start off drinking for the effect and then become physically dependent. Just my opinion. There are no absolutes and I would take the advice of the doctor.
Old 05-12-2006, 03:02 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi mallowcup. I think we've been here before. Do you base your opinion about alcoholism on personal experience? Have you ever been dependant on alcohol? Do you smoke pot as an anti-anxiety med? I base my mine on first hand experience.
Old 05-12-2006, 03:08 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I do have some personal experience with family members but I based my answer on many long conversations with our pediatric Psychiatrist. I deal with many behavioral health children who are multidiagnosed, with alcohol and marajuana issues. They self medicate. My specific concern with your post is that you speak in absolutes. If these recovery issues were written in stone or based on your personal experience only. we'd have it licked. There are no absolutes and I'm not sure why you are challenging my opinion. It is after all my opinion. I stated that clearly. Good luck in your recovery.
Old 05-12-2006, 03:14 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I think it is important for us to respect each others experiences.
Old 05-12-2006, 03:18 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

AH Taking Zoloft...

Originally Posted by mallowcup
I think it is important for us to respect each others experiences.

I agree. But wouldn't you say that "all people who use alcohol & drugs are self-medicating" is an absolute?
Old 05-12-2006, 03:49 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

That's what I believe, as I said it is my opinion. I believe that everyone who drinks or takes drugs does so for an effect. I won't post further on this thread as it would not benefit the original poster. I aim to do right, not be right. Thatnk you for you input on my post.