New! What to Expect at 1st Meeting?

Old 02-12-2006, 03:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Debnginger

Red face New! What to Expect at 1st Meeting?

Hi there,

Newbie here! I'm dating a recovery (5 yrs sober). I am attending my first meeting this Friday, Feb. 17. What can I expect from the 1st meeting? Just feeling a bit of aniexty.

Thank you,

Deb
Old 02-12-2006, 04:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well hello there Deb, and welcome to SR.

Meetings are very welcoming of folks who are there for the first meeting. People will come up to you and say hello and shake your hand and make you feel welcome. You don't have to say anything during the meeting. At the beginning they _might_ ask you to just say your name so they can all introduce themselves after the meeting. The meeting itself is the regular members sharing their experience strength and hope. And that's it. Pretty simple.

Between now and friday, please take a few minutes to look over the "sticky" posts we have here, there's a lot of wonderful information there you might find useful.

Mike :-)
Old 02-12-2006, 05:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Deb,
I'm still new at the meetings thing. I have tried three different ones now, and I finally actually like the last one. Although the other two were just plain weird, I have realized that they are not all the same, so if it doesn't immediately fit, look around a bit. The one thing all three definitely had in common is that everyone was amazingly nice. I was terrified to walk into the room each time, but at the second one, someone actually took my hand and led me into the room just as I was about to bolt in fear! Good luck!
Old 02-12-2006, 05:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

good for you deb! you may want to go a bit early so you can chat with some of the other folks beforehand and they may be able to put you at ease. like TG said - if this one doesn't "fit" there are many others, different flavors, different formats.
Old 02-13-2006, 04:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Debnginger

Just want to thank all that replied! I will let you know how the meeting went!

Deb
Old 02-13-2006, 04:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
((( ONCE BITTEN, TWICE SHY )))

Good Morning Debbie,
Welcome to SR!!
I am very excited for you. I absolutely loved my first meeting. I was sooooooo broken when I walked into the room. .
Everyone made me feel so welcome. Lots of hugs, support, and spirituality. Now my only addiction IS meetings. I attend four or more a week. They are my medicine.
I wish you the best of luck!!!!
Let us know how it went. Thanks, Jennifer