Who are we?

Old 02-08-2006, 01:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Who are we?

I'm still pretty new to this forum but have greatly enjoyed the responses that I have received my posts..I would like to know a little about the people out thier who are in my situation..Here is a little about me

Married: 1 1/2 years (together for 5)
Husband is an alcoholic
I am learning to try and become stronger with myself and his addiction..The marriage may inevitably fail but it won't be because I didn't try (despite what he has to say)..

Can't wait to get to know more about all of you.....
Old 02-08-2006, 01:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Whew.....I am getting pretty talked out about myself..
can't speak for the rest though....
Just wanted to welcome you to SR.
So glad you found us.
If you read the posts you will find out that many of us
have been or are in your shoes.....
Age? I never talk about that...lol
Happy you are here with us!!!!
Old 02-08-2006, 02:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

welcome kruggel2004 - keep reading and posting. you will find that tho our situations may differ slightly, we do have a common bond.

Recently widowed: alcoholic husband
ACOA (adult child of alcoholic mom)

i have made many friends on this site and learned much!
Old 02-08-2006, 02:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome! Here a little about me I'm 29yrs old and a mother of 3 (2 girls ages 3 and 4 and one boy age 13). Im an adult child of acoholics aka ACOA. Well thats about it. I guess stick around this is a really good place and people hear listen to ya and help ya.
Old 02-08-2006, 05:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am 43. In good health, educated. Married 19 years, now separated. Two beautiful girls.

Wife is off rehab lover.....in search of the bottom of hell.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm 32; 2 kids (boy and girl); been with G 16 years (married 9)....he's an alcoholic. I'm codependant. we've been seperated 2 years.

Nice to meet you....keep coming back.
Old 02-08-2006, 07:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi; I'll be 52yrs in a few weeks, married 27 yrs-together about 30yr plus (AH is divorcing me, but haven't signed the papers yet) separated about 3 years. We have 2 children: 23y son and (just) 18yr daughter.
AH is still functioning at work (he is boss at his office,just sold his company to a big bank a year or two ago and now does same things as employee of them).

I've been a stay-at-home mom,etc for many,many years........husband is an alcoholic still in denial but with enough money that other enablers are popping up (although he denies that,too).

I am working on getting my bearings and doing what I can for myself and kids to get better.......posting here is one thing that helps me get my attention back on me; where it can do some good.

Glad to share with all of you!
Old 02-08-2006, 08:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Searching and tripping

Hi Hi to you,

I'm Kathy and am married to a recovering alcoholic (19) years in April. Occasional dry drunk, but I'm getting pretty ballsy and we're communicating about this. Our son, 26 is also a recovering alcoholic...working a program in the truest sense.

I can be a codie and enabler. REally working on that. Detaching is my weakness. From hubby, it's no problem...with our son...he's my blood. So learning to do this with love has been my biggest obstacle in my recovery.

I do believe there is hope for every alcoholic/addiction.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi,

I am Jenny, almost 40 married to James, 40. We have 2 young children. He is alcoholic who is active, although recently keeping his act together. I am in ever quest of figuring out what and who I am.

I know that I am a wife, mother, teacher, lover, friend, child, caregiver, knitter, reader, hiker, and an all round mostly happy person.

I know that I have seen dark things. I know that I am strong and powerful and able to be the best that I can be. I also know that THAT takes a great deal of work and prayer and trust.

Each day is a new day and each day I learn more about exactly who I am capable of being.

Blessings to you.

Jenny
Old 02-08-2006, 08:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Female.
Age 36.
3 children.
Known my ah for 31 years.
Been married for almost 18 years.
Seperated now for almost 2 years.
Alcoholic husband not drinking (for a bit over 6 months now) but not working a program either. Same patterns and behaviours.
Me, well, I've been here around 2 years. I've came a long way in my recovery but have a long way to go and still tend to backslide at times.
Kind of avoided this place for a bit when I got the notion in my head that I didn't need to be here when ah had quit drinking. Realized that whether he's drinking or not, I've been affected and scarred for life because of it so I need to stay focused on me. And this is the place that I tend to be reminded of that. As well as where I learn so many things.
Old 02-09-2006, 01:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi!!

I'm a soon to be 35yr old work in progress!

Hubby swung between alcohol abuse and dependency for years but has also been fighting back for a few of them. He hasn't drank reguarly since August this year and none at all since November. He doesn't do 'a programme' but certainly works on himself. I'm a bit similar and don't do the programme thing but do look to keep learning.

SR is a pretty cool place with loads of folk around that care. I've met some truly ace people here.
Old 02-09-2006, 01:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Binge poster

Hello
38 and a half, living with recovering A partner (over 10 years) and mum to 2 very tall boys.
I don't do the programme bit either but I have changed almost beyond recognition over the last year and a half, due to this place and its tools and warm people, counselling and choosing to be around good healthy friends.
Oh, I also work in a job that allows me to skive off on the internet during the day and come here.

Jane
xxx
Old 02-09-2006, 02:17 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi

I'm 32, my dad was an alcoholic and died of liver failure 2 years ago. My partner S. is addicted to coke, cannabis and alcohol and has been so for 25 years. I have been with her for the past 2 years. She's been nearly 5 months clean and sober. i have started going to Alanon in July 2005 and has saved my life. Thank to SR as well, I'm slowly but surely finding serenity/sanity again.

Keep the faith, Love Josie
Old 02-09-2006, 06:20 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hmm... a 'snapshot' of who I am.... I'll give it a go...

I'm 29... almost 30 *gasp*... married to my loving, sick husband for about a year and half. Our first child is due in less than 5 months. I like to swim, run, bike, ride my motorcycle (and my husband's!), take our golden retriever to the park to play with his paw-pals. I enjoy a good nap, a hot shower, pedicures, new haircuts, shopping with my mom, laughing at my husband's jokes, curling up on the couch with the dog and hubby to watch TV (it is super crowded!!!).

I've been working on my Al-anon program of recovery for just over a year now. Always learning the difference between things I can and can't control. I'm finally starting to grow into the person I always thought I could and should be... and I really like that.

Oh yeah... and my name is Shannon.
Old 02-09-2006, 07:26 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Alcohol is a cruel mistress!!!

I am 37, two kids,12 & 9 years old. Married for 15 years on Valentines Day. My father died from alcoholism in 1985 and I went on to marry a functional alcoholic. He was going to AA and counseling. Then had a few relapses, he now drinks a beer or two, maybe 3 times a week. Not great but a major improvement. I am working on detachment and focusing on me & kids.
Old 02-09-2006, 07:36 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Acting not reacting

Female
Just ended relationship of 3 years with active alcoholic fiance.
No children, just my black lab dog, who is like my child.
Working on me
Learning how to say no
Learning to live the life I want.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:05 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm Susane (obviously!)
Age.. I'll be 52 on St Patrick's day.
My partner is Phil, he's 46 this year ( my toyboy )
Phil is alcohol dependant but working on recovery, he had 6 months until a short relapse in December; he's been sober and on medication for 4 weeks now.
And he's an absolute darling
Old 02-09-2006, 10:11 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Female, 43. Married to a 42/yo A. Separated almost 6 months now. Two children, ages 9 and 13. Hubby quit drinking in November, but only recently started counseling, and is "considering" AA.

Constantly having to remind myself that whatever is meant to be, will be. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. My life is so much better now that I only try to control what I have control over--ME.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:12 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

48 yrs old; Been with AH (45) 18 years, married 15. Separated with NC 3 months. No children.
Always hope for the best and look to accept whatever the best turns out to be.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:28 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi there.

Hey Susane, we have the same birthday! I'm turning 29 on mine this year. I have one little 5 month old boy, cutest in the world. Yup I'm biased. lol I've been with the man in my life, G for a couple years. He's turning 36 this year. As far as his drinking, not much to say other than he's been on good behaviour since his son was born.

I'm a slow learner on here but determined to keep working on it. I'll get it one day.