Who are we?

Old 02-09-2006, 11:47 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hey there Aquiana!! Snap!! I may be fast coming up on 52 but in my heart I'm 29 too, thats a good age to be
Old 02-09-2006, 02:05 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I'm Minnie, 32, live in the North of England in a beautiful converted corn mill which I share with my brother. No kids, but a pretty little cat who has been with me in good times and bad. Was a recruiter for quite a while, but lost interest after ending the partnership with my ex fiance. Made the first step on a new career this evening and I am mega excited about it. I love sailing and my family have had boats since I was 10 - we're just planning our summer cruise to the South West of Ireland at the moment.

Well, that covers the "stuff", so what about ME. Well, since I began this part of my journey on May 14 2004 when I found SR, I have been learning about what makes me tick. And through counselling, al-anon and all you wonderful angels here, I can honestly say that I don't recognise that girl who occupied my body for all of those years. But I sure know who this woman is right here right now. I started a counselling course this evening and I got a huge reminder of how far I have come. We did an exercise about our anxieties for the course and I couldn't come up with one. 2 years ago, I would have had loads. Listening to the others relate their fears of meeting new people, worries that they'd say the wrong thing, that they were scared of being vulnerable. My recovery has taught me that I have no need to be afraid of these things. I love it!!
Old 02-09-2006, 02:24 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR

Im 41 (almost 42) and I have a 16 year old daughter that is as beautiful on the inside as she is on the outside. I have been a single mom since my daughter was 2. I was married after my first husband but would say I was very much still a single mom.

My Mother was a Alcoholic, my sister, My first husband (daughters father) and the last serious relationship was also an Alcoholic.... I have had no contact with him for 9 months now. You know ... I should say that those peoples drinking bothered me ALOT, the only one that admitts he is an A is the last relationship.

I have been in Al-anon for 9 months also, Im currently dating a wonderful man that Im very excited about and my daughter and I are going to Italy in July. Im keeping the focus on me and what I can control. Im a caregiver to the point of neglecting myself and Im a codi with a streak of Control freak in me that is work in progress.
Old 02-09-2006, 03:01 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Daughter/sister/widow/lover

Hi
I am 44. I live in California, near Lake Tahoe.
My grandfather, my father, his brother/my uncle, my brother, my other brother, my second husband - all alcoholics. My first husband - borderline alcoholic/pothead. My latest ol'man - alcoholic/addict

I'm a mess
Old 02-10-2006, 12:46 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Wow! what a grand idea! Thanks K Welcome!

I’m Carol..... body is 70...spirit is forever young.

I have been involved with alcoholism for 30 years.
2 of my children... 1 grandson... 1 husband..
.lovers...dear friends...AA members and my own.

The only person I got sober was me.

Al anon taught me the 3 C’s
AA taught me to live in the joy of recovery.
Old 02-10-2006, 06:12 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I'm Lill, 30, from Hong Kong. Married for two years. My husband became a full-blown alcoholic about three years ago. Last May I attended Alanon for the first time. Although I decided later that I didn't like the meetings but Alanon's ideas and theories have saved me from going crazy. And I was so grateful when I found SR. So many caring, wise people here....

My AH is trying to quit drinking on his own and has been on a pattern of two weeks drinking, two weeks dry since August... I complained many times before about him not trying to stick to some program but then I realized that I haven't worked hard enough for my recovery either. So.. i really want to stick around. I want to learn to STOP worrying/thinking/encouraging his recovery and instead focus on mine. I'm only at the start of the journey....
Old 02-10-2006, 12:22 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
C's Sweetie

Hi! I like this thread!

I'm 44 and C is my recovering alcoholic fiancé. We've been together 3+ years and he has been sober for 10 months. He was released from jail in December after doing 9 months for a third DUI. He's determined to "make it" this time. I grew up in a completely dry home, so I have had no experience with this at all. I love C like crazy and want to do the right things when we are finally able to get together after he serves his parole period. I've been attending Al-Anon and kinda lurking around in here. I have lotsa questions still.