Job Dilemma-new cheese or folly?

Old 09-20-2005, 01:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Job Dilemma-new cheese or folly?

I like my current job. A lot.

I like my current boss. A lot.

I hate my current salary. A lot.

I live in a very high index city, I work out of a very low index city. (I work from home via computer) I also hate the fact that I'm getting FAT-I'm not venturing out, no building to walk around in, other offices to visit etc-I do all that electronically. I'm also getting a bit socially isolated.

My currrent company is very small. Everyone there works for ordinary TX wages. A raise to me would put me above those who have been there longer and have loftier titles.

I also hate the stress level of my current job.

This morning I received a call from a local broker I've known for years. I like him a lot as well. "I need you, come work for me, I'll pay you more and you're hired so come talk to me tomorrow at 4:30." I agreed to come talk.

It's not mortgage, it's debt reduction services. Rather than filing a BK, people seek help getting the debts or payments reduced. I suspect he has a telemarketing side going as well.

Yes, I'm going to go talk to him. Am I nuts? Am I just in a comfort zone and should I step out and seek new cheese?

I find myself in a comfortable rut should I step out?

And yes, most of this is just internal mutterings...typing them out just seems to help! If anyone has any pearls of wisdom send 'em my way.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Do you need the extra money? if you do I'd say that was a tick in the plus box.
Do you want to reduce the stress? thats a definite plus in my book!
Do you want to tone that ass? hell yes ( I know I would!)
Make a list girl; pluses and minuses, then you can see clearly and make up your mind
Old 09-20-2005, 01:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Irene... I can relate to this...
I work on the property where I live. I walk across the parking lot
and I am at my office. I see my boss once maybe twice a year.
I talk to her via phone or email once a week if that. My office is a townhouse, I have a fridge, microwave, stove, TV, DVD, computer ect......
I wear whatever I want, not a plus really, as jogging suits expand....
if you know what I mean....
Yes, I am comfortable. My pay is ok, could be better but we are not starving,
and have a lot of luxuries at home too.
I tried to put a suit on yesterday just for fun...pretend I was going to a real job, but
the 25 lbs I have gained would not allow it.
I want to buy a condo in a beautiful neighborhood, as I have money to invest.
Since part of my salary includes housing, I will either
a. need to find a higher paying job elsewhere
b. ask my boss to compensate for the loss of my apartment once I move.
Someitmes it's easier to just stay put....but my money isn't making me any money in the bank and I don't want to lose out on the great interest rates....so you see I am in a very similiar situation as you.......sorry htis probably didn't help you....but you are right it helps to type it out...thanks for listening to me
Love, Patty
Old 09-20-2005, 01:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks both of you. The list idea is excellent, if I wasn't so stunned I should have thought of that as well. Tonight I think I'll do that before I go tomorrow to talk to him.

And yes, Patty, it sounds all too familiar.

I hate quandries.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Irene

I would go and talk to him and ask every question under the sun about the position. You need as much info as you can to make the decision. Then you can make the list.
Old 09-20-2005, 03:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

What I want to know is...how do you guys find jobs working from home. I want to work from home soooo bad. I would rather be in my house than anywhere else. Also, my hours at work just changed. I was working Mon, Tue, Thurs, and Fri from 8 to 5 and they just changed to 9 - 4:30 every day. I hate it. I really need that day off. I always used Wednesday to do grocery shopping, laundry, cleaning, take my mom to the doctors', etc. And WTL, I would go for it if I were you, but only if you are comfortable doing it. It sounds like a great opportunity.
Old 09-20-2005, 03:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Ugh!

Walking,

I have no advice but I do know what it is like to feel isolated in my job, I'm alone 100% of the time. I know all about those companies since we hired one instead of doing a bankruptcy. It didn't work for us and we were forced to file a bankruptcy after hiring one. Not blaming the company but they made a lot of promises they couldn't keep.
I also heard that a lot of those companies are being sued and investigated by the federal trade commission. Please investigate this if you can... this is just one article:

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story.asp?guid={BB7BF688-CA02-4F48-8266-FE78E046C05A}&siteid=google&dist=google&cbsReferre r=

Go in informed and make sure it is a great opportunity before jumping ships.
Best of luck to you, you are in my prayers!

~FaithChaser
Old 09-20-2005, 11:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone.

Let's see...how did I get a job working from home? It was offered. If you get into a field and become "known", people often make offers. I've turned down a few over the past two years.

I've known this particular guy for about 4 years. He is a licensed Broker, has a perfect record and has always been equally worried about his income and taking care of his customers. We worked for the same company for a long time...he had perfect audits. Unless he's taken a real left turn, I think he is involved in something honest. I checked with the state after speaking with him, no complaints thru state listings or with the BBB. And his mortgage license is current and unemcombered.

I'm going to go and find out what he has in mind. He's offered me jobs before, both as an admin assistant and he's always offered good money.

The stress at my current job is high. The money isn't low, but it isn't consistant with my peers in my state. It's difficult to work with mortgages all day long and know you don't make enough to have one.

I've paid my dues. I've worked on the backside of the industry for years. I've passed all the classes and am scheduled to take the state exam in about a month. I've become a notary. He DID tell me he's still doing mortgages and would do more if he had the staff. So...we'll see.

Thanks to everyone for the great feedback. I'll let you know tomorrow night how it went.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good luck today Irene......