confused

Old 08-07-2005, 07:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
caughtup

Unhappy confused

I have heard that alcoholics quite often blame others for things. I guess that this is what is happening in my relationship. I don't get blamed for the drinking, that honor goes to his ex ... but the little things that happen seem to be my fault, especially after a day of drinking ... naturally at those times there is no reasoning with him. Sometimes I get so confused, I don't know what my name is .. lol ... And with him it just kinda sneaks up on me ... cuz he doesn't act or seem drunk, ever .. so it is difficult to tell how much it effects him .. I just get scared when I think about the future ... thanks, just needed to vent ................
Old 08-07-2005, 07:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

Hi Confused. You heard right. Alcoholics tend to blame others for all their problems, especially those close to them. They can't see that the majority of their struggles stem from their drinking because they don't want to see it. If they did, then they'd have to get help.

Alcoholism is a progressive disease, so I think you're wise to question what lies on the road ahead if your alcoholic doesn't seek help. It will be a bumpy ride to say the least.

Stick around a while. Read the stickys on the top of the forum. Get copies of Melody Beatty's books "Codependent No More" and "The Language of Letting Go." Ask questions, do some reach on alcoholism, and vent here anytime. We're all in this together, so we understand your frustrations and fears.

Welcome to SoberRecovery.