Fabulous Reading!

Old 10-23-2002, 02:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fabulous Reading!

I worked until midnight then came home after getting a few groceries and turned on the computer. That was alot of info to read MG. I really enjoyed it!I want to thank you all for the warm welcomes too. My husband of 25yrs. is the one with a drinking problem. I have 3 children with him. He is attending AA meetings, but is still drinking.His sister is very ill so he has been going to stay with her alot. It is about an hour away and that is where he attends the meetings. He says that is the only place he feels comfortable. He has been going there 3 nights in a row now and has been sober those 3 days. This has happened before for as much as 8 days and then he drinks again. He says he is a STRESS alcoholic. The stress of everyday living can drive a person to drink I guess. I told him I was very proud of him for trying not to drink. He was pleased that I told him that. Years ago I could not sleep if he was away all night. Now it is YEAH, I can sleep better when he is not here. I know he wants to stay sober, but watch out for that STRESS!! He stays sober when we go to BIG BEAR every year. We are going for a week at Halloween. I am really looking forward to that. I pray that this will be the time that he can really do it.How many times have I thought that? So many I have lost count. Well I have to go get some sleep for it is very late or should I say early. I need to get up to take my daughter to school.

Take care everyone
matters
Old 10-23-2002, 05:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hiya Matters!

I love your avatar. I keep coming back to your post just to look at it and giggle.

I am very intrigued by your husband's statement that he is a "stress alcoholic". The substance abuser in my life says similar things. He is not an addict... it's the stress. I've given up offering the insight that everyone has stress and not everyone handles it that way.

I'm glad you enjoyed your late nite reading and am looking forward to seeing you and your avatar around. Welcome!

Hugs,
Smoke
Old 10-23-2002, 06:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

Hi Matters,

I cannot believe this post was here all day and I didn't see it. Sometimes I think I've lost my mind.

I'm glad you enjoyed what you've read so far. Every six months or so I might have a beer if I feel really really stressed. That's about 2 beers a year.

See you soon,

Hugs,
MG

Old 10-24-2002, 07:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
believer

Hmmm, the stress alcoholic. My dad is an alcoholic. This didn't keep me from drinking, but it did prompt me to establish two boundaries in my life when it comes to drinking.

1. I never drink alone.
2. I never drink if I'm upset or stressed.

I actually had the foresight to establish these rules when I was 18. 14 years later, I believe those two boundaries have kept me from falling into a genetic trap. Does that mean anyone who drinks alone or drinks while stressed will become an alcoholic? Of course not! This is what I had to do for ME, b/c alcoholism runs in familes and I did not want to go down that path. But, I digress...

The good thing is, your husband is going to meetings so deep down he knows he has a problem. And I'm sure the stuff he hears at the meetings have sunk in somewhere. One of these days, those principals will take hold, and he'll be able to really work on his recovery.

But, this program of al-anon is about you! How are you dealing with his drinking? The main focus should be about you, how your life has been affected by the drinking, and ways you can restore sanity to your life. Keep coming back, this is a great place to be!