My dad is trying to stop drinking again....

Old 03-21-2005, 04:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

My dad is trying to stop drinking again....

You think I would be happy right? No I am not happy. Last night I over heard my mom and dad talking about drinking. I heard my dad say that he does not have a problem and that he can stop when he wants to. I should up not listened to that but I did I then walked away I could still hear them talking but i closed my door and finished my homework b/c that was more important. So today is day one not drinking but I know it will not last b/c he does not think he has a problem. He might not drink for two or three weeks than go back like he has in the past. Why do you say I am I angry or upset well it is b/c I have to watch my dad go throught the withdrawal and he is mood and it is hard to be around him. I am not saying that i want him to drink but i am saying why try to quit if he still does not think there is a problem. Sorry for the vent but had to get that out.
Love,
Shana
Old 03-21-2005, 04:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Shana,

It is hard at your age to have to listen to your parents and to hear that your father denies his alcoholism--it must make you feel helpless, angry, and scared---Sadly enough, you can't do anything to help him admit his problem. I don't know whether you've tried to talk with him about how his drinking affects you? Maybe that would at least give him another reason to think about admitting his problem. It is very hard to understand why someone can't do this. It is a disease, as you know, and I think you are doing well by focusing on your homework and yourself.

Maybe others will have some wise words for you.

Best wishes and prayers.
Old 03-21-2005, 05:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks rara that helps. I know it is a disease but sometimes that does not help. I have never told my dad how I feel I will never because he has no idea what is going on with me and he does not know that i go to Al-Anon either. It will be okay in the end.
Love,
Shana
Old 03-21-2005, 06:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Searching and tripping

Dear Shana,

Focus on yourself and your future. In 5-6 months, you will be going off to college. Put your attentions on that and enjoy yourself and not worry aobut him. I know it's easy to say, and doing it is tough, but you can do this.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks I am trying really hard to focus on myself and my future. I am working hard at my school work and I think that helps to keep my mind off of things sometimes. I am keeping my head up and I am still going. I love my dad and i hate to see him in pain.
Love,
Shana