This is all new to me! Please help.

Old 03-14-2005, 12:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This is all new to me! Please help.

Alcoholism and these message boards are new to me. I have a boyfriend who is a recovered alcoholic, it will be five years next month. But I can see that he is still healing. I want to gain a better understanding of what this is all about. I think that I would really like to attend a meeting for AA to see what it is like and I would like to attend a meeting for friends/family of alcoholics too. All of this I would really like to do as soon as possible and I don't know where to look. Any help would be great.
Old 03-14-2005, 12:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

How often does your b/f go to meetings? After five years, he should have a good foothold on his sobriety. There are other factors as well. Many of us suffer from depression etc. besides the drinking problems. After five years, you boyfriend should have gotten rid of or at least been able to make amends for his character defects.

Glad you're here. There's a lot of nice people in here that can give you way more insight then I have. Nice of you to stick by your b/f while he's getting sober

Chris
Old 03-14-2005, 12:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't know how many he goes to but it seems often, at least 2x a week and probably more. I am not really so concerned about his sobriety but what i can learn in general. We had a major fight and I am faced with a person that I don't know and I dont know if this anger he has can be better understood by me if I understood more of where he came from. I am trying to see more of him through other avenues.
Old 03-14-2005, 12:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Dancing To My Own Beat

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/local_links.php
Here are some links that might help. The Al-Anon link will give you meetings in your area. You can also get literature and information on alcoholism; the disease, the recovery, and the effects on those that love alcoholics. And keep coming back. There are a lot of caring people here who are learning and sharing their recovery. Hugs, Magic
Old 03-14-2005, 01:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My husband is nearly five years sober and i have never been to an open AA meting or an al-anon meeting.I found this site as i am trying to come of codine pain killers and take a look at ME for a change.I thought if i could make everyone else happy that i would also be happy,but all iv done is lost me.I also would like to gain some info on al-anon so that i can understand his disease better.My husband is still healing to and can still get angry and resentful,just like i can.But we are talking more than ever and understanding each other a great deal better.I hope you find the help you need take good care of you Luisaxxxx
Old 03-14-2005, 02:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Cruelty-Free

Originally Posted by madarie
I have a boyfriend who is a recovered alcoholic, it will be five years next month.
Five years of sobriety is wonderful (miraculous, actually), however recovery is a continuous, progressive process. I'm not sure I know anyone who claims to be "recovered", only "recovering". Someone told me once that I should remember that it's called alcoholISm, not alcoholWASm.

Originally Posted by madarie
I think that I would really like to attend a meeting for AA to see what it is like and I would like to attend a meeting for friends/family of alcoholics too.
If you are reluctant to ask your boyfriend where some open AA meetings (meetings not restricted to those with a desire to stop drinking) are, AA can always be found in the phone book or online:

How to find local AA meetings

To find an Al-Anon meeting, this link should help!

I honor your courage in reaching out and hope you find the answers you seek, here and in meetings!

Peace!