Non alcoholic beer????

Old 03-03-2005, 06:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Non alcoholic beer????

Okay I know it's not really NON alcohol just really little alcohol.

Have any of your SO tried this method to quit drinking? Mine seems to think he can drink this and everything will get better. It seems ridiculous to me, beacause he just drinks way more to get the same feeling, which means more money. ARGH!!!!
Old 03-03-2005, 06:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

As you know, recovery is not just about stopping drinking. Swapping real beer for "alcohol-free" beer is not addressing the emotional reasons for drinking in the first place.
Old 03-03-2005, 06:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

oh but it is a START! there is so little alcohol in those beers that he will probably just get tired from having to get up and go to the bathroom all the time after drinking a case of those. However, he may get a little more exercise in- that might be helpful if he has a beer gut!
Old 03-03-2005, 06:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My AH tried this several times and of course it didn't work. It isn't that much of a stretch between....it tastes like beer to it is beer. I shake my head and laugh reading this because he actually thought I believed his rationale behind it....I'm not THAT stupid. Minnie is so right, but they will try anything won't they?
Old 03-03-2005, 06:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think trying things is something positive - but not that that means it will work!!

In the UK if it's labelled as alcohol free it is!! Low alcohol drinks are different but they still have to have the % volume of alcohol on their label.

There was a court case in the UK about 15 years ago where a man had been drinking low alcohol beer enough to be over the limit driving. His defence was that he thought it was alcohol free and for a while if you were serving it in a pub (which at the time I was) you had to make sure the drinker new it had alcohol in it because in a glass there's no label. I don't think people do that anymore though - court case panic fades!!

The label should tell you though.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

As a recovering alcoholic/addict.I think non-alcoholic beer is a bad idea and odds are nothing good can come from.Kinda like me smoking a cigarette through a bong or a crack pipe.Whats the point? Just my humble opinion.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

T2S,

I completely agree. He is just fooling himself, he's trying to fool me, but I know better.

Minnie,

He doesn't think there are any emotional issues to deal with. Ha!

And by the way he has tried this many times before, and failed so I know this time will be no different.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Queen

You are living my life. Oh God, I had the same kind of issues. But I do know one thing they would have to drink two cases of the stuff, to feel anything, and depending on what kind they drink, is how much it would cost. If my H wanted to treat himself, he would by O'douls, more expensive.

My H started with Non-alcholic, he buys Busch N/A. I was worried about him drinking a few regulars and trying to hide it by drinking N/A's. The smell is amazingly different. Which I shouldnt even pay attention to or know, but it is hard not to. When he drinks N/A, you could hardly smell it at all.

When he would come to bed, I didnt even half to ask him if he drank real beer or not, I could smell it from the other side of the bed. I told my H it would eventually lead back into real beer, and it has. He is still trying very hard, and limiting it to every two weeks, but it is getting worse.

I feel like my H was only fooling himself, he really believed it would be okay to drink N/A, there was nothing I could do or say to change his mind. I had to stop, so it was N/A for the longest time, I think 5 1/2 months. But for him it didnt work, but maybe for some it would, I dont know.

IMHO, it is not breaking the habit, but as hard as it is, I have learned it is his habit.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have to agree with Minnie.

IMO - There is more behind the alcolism that just the alcohol. Emotional issues need to be addressed.

But, EA was right, It could help with the beer gut. My AH looks like he's expecting triplets.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Acting not reacting

My boyfriend has had one NA beer since out of rehab. I personally dont mind if he has one a month, but its the HABIT and ADDICTION of overuse that I have a problem with. If he began drinking these excessively I would be concerned...but all in all I would rather he drink that excessively than the real stuff, if I were you..

Old 03-03-2005, 07:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

He has no beer gut, he has a sixpack, really nice body!!! Makes me sick he drinks all that beer and eats junk all day and has no body fat whatsoever!!! NO fair! He works in construction so I guess he just burns off everything.

It's like trading one bad habit for another. Like giving up regular ice cream for fat/sugar free. Anything in excess is not good no matter what it is.

Mindi
Old 03-03-2005, 07:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My AH was sober for 6 years. Then he stopped going to meetings and started nonalcoholic beer. He quickly went back to the real stuff and has been there for the past 7 years.
Old 03-03-2005, 09:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Chy

Originally Posted by Day
.....he might be misguided in his efforts, but he is making an effort all the same.
Have to agree there, NAbeer is just a more expensive pacifier to the real issues... hopefully these efforts will get him closer to where her really needs to be.
Old 03-03-2005, 09:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Dan

For me, non alcoholic beer was a real handy way of having alcohol on my breath.
I would nurse one or two all evening long.
And visit the basement or attic, or anywhere else I was hiding a bottle that particular night.
That's what I did with non alcoholic beer.
Old 03-03-2005, 10:26 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

By even switching to non-alcoholic beer your A is admitting he has a problem and figures this might be a way to solve it
I am way too cynical, I don't think he's admitting anything, I think he's trying to make ME feel better.....

I could be wrong but the times before he just ends up going back to real beer, after I chill.

Mindi
Old 03-03-2005, 10:31 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Searching and tripping

We did that route. He got to the point he thought he could again drink without the ramifications. Of course, we all know what happened then.

It's control over the alcohol itself. Non-beer, light or just plain old booze. It causes the drinker to feel they can drink and control it. Maybe they can maybe they can't. Mine couldn't.
Old 03-03-2005, 10:42 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

That is what mine is doing with real Beer now. The first time he bought N/A I freaked out on him at the grocery store. I told him way back then what it would turn into. This must have been last May.

It is like he is trying to convince me everything will be okay. See first real beer would never be in my house again, now it is every other week. Lastnight, he asked me if he could go to the store and get a forty. I told him never ask me that question again, I am not your mother. He was so crabby and miserable lastnight and I knew why. He tried to start a fight with me, I gave in a little bit to the arguement, than I stopped myself and looked at him and said, I am not going there with you tonight and walked away and went to the bathroom. No one will ever catch my bathroom a mess, the only room with a lock, my retreat, I guess.
Old 03-03-2005, 11:14 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

"I am way too cynical, I don't think he's admitting anything, I think he's trying to make ME feel better....."

Queen, if you are detached what does it matter to You? Let him face his odoules himself-let it make him feel better...
Old 03-03-2005, 11:16 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

"Can I have a 40?" You know he wanted you say oh H@ll no you may not, so he could go get one and blame it on you for being so mean!!!!
Old 03-03-2005, 11:22 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

yup, that is what he wanted. It took me a few minutes before I caught on.

I feel like I always have to be on my toes, when I am around him. See Lastnights events was a lead up to what I am going to deal with Friday night. I need to flee for the weekend, I am weighing my options now.