Non alcoholic beer????

Old 03-05-2005, 11:40 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Im gonna say peace on this one.You can keep throwing in your little insults .First you said I had a bigger problem than you do.Now you are saying I am incapable of realizing each person is different.I am not judging anyone,Read my posts again very slowly.I said this is just my humble opinion.Now read yours again.You day I have the bigger problem,well maybe so.But Im content with my life today. Sorry this went where it did.Im not going to argue with you.this is a public forum,with people simpy posting their opinions.High Horse? You keep throwing personal insults at me and then you are surprised when I throw them back?
Old 03-05-2005, 12:36 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

We are all here at SR to support one another and get advice and answers to our never ending questions. Lately, there seems to be a lot of anymosity. Can't we all just get a long? So what if you have different view points. You cannot force another to see things the same way you do. We are entitled to our own opinions. Take what you want and leave the rest. Let's cut out the little jabs and insults.
Old 03-05-2005, 01:17 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I go to AA meetings, and one of the many gifts of attending AA meetings is that I get to hear the experiences of many other alcoholics. And in the 16 yrs that I have been sober in AA, there have been many who "thought" they could drink "near beer". It was shared many times from those who "thought" that they could drink "near beer" in safety, and that eventually "near beer" took them right back to the real thing. For some it took a day, some it took a month, some it took years. Every alcoholic that I heard share about NA beer had the same or a similar experience, eventually they were once again, drunk, sick and out of control.

This disease centers in the mind and putting down the "alcohol" for this alkie, was the first step in actually doing something about the real problem, and the real problem was me, and my "thinking"

I had many many excuses for drinking, and only one valid reason... I am an alcoholic

So I don't play head games with my sobriety today, and I don't drink "near beer" because I do not want to be "near sober"
Old 03-05-2005, 01:32 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Free Spirit

I've been away for a while, handling my business, doing fairly well by the grace of God.

I cannot help but be incensed to read this thread and find one "supportive" person labelling another person on this forum a "dry drunk".

That is such an insult.

We are here to support each other.

Wild(and disgusted)Saffron

(In my humble opinion - some people have the wrong attitude towards the AA and use it as a replacement for their drug of choice.)
Old 03-05-2005, 02:12 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

I wouldn't recommend for any one to do anything. I've drank a handful of N/A beer over the 5 and a half years I've been sober. My cousin has 17 years of sobriety. He drinks an N/A beer once in a while. i don't even know how often he's hitting the meetings.

many people come in to AA and get sober and never come back to AA. I don't want to try that in my recovery right now any way. I enjoy the fellowship too much. The AA retreats picnics etc. My life revolves around AA people. I still have other interests that some people in my home group.

AA retrained me that drinking and being in places thats primary purpose was to drink are not good places for me to be. I've been sober long enough now that, I no longer am bothered to be at wedding receptions etc. I do like to leave before people start getting wound up though.

I'm working my program and what works for me. I can't be concerned what works for some one else unless they ask.

chris
Old 03-05-2005, 02:23 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

Ok guys. Back to the codie stuff.

I have 2 children. Both alcoholics. My daughter quit cold turkey 10 years ago. She has been sober since. In the beginning she relied on non alcoholic beer to get her through the cravings. She has been through much recovery since that time. Recovery from severe issues. She took the bull by the horns and got through it without a program and with counseling. She is far from a dry drunk and dealt with things that are straight from a horror movie.

My son is an active alcoholic whom I've steered toward AA meetings and counseling. He is not ready to quit and will have to deal with the same severe issues as my daughter did in her recovery. I'm so glad that AA is there for him and I know he has been through enough program that he knows where to get help if he wants it.

In the meantime I am keeping the focus off the alcoholism in my life and focusing on me. I can't control their recovery. I can only work on my own recovery. If I am focusing on their recovery then I need to grab a mirror and get the focus back where it belongs.

It was good for me in the beginning to learn all I could about addiction. When I did that I learned that I didn't have any power over it. I learned that recovery had to come from within my children and I couldn't do that for them. I was able to separate myself from their recovery and focus on my own.

I've received a lot from your experience, strength and hope and I hope I can give some of mine to you too. It means a lot to me to be able to take what I need and leave the rest.

What is not good for you might just be the very thing I need to hear. So leave it for me.

Old 03-05-2005, 11:13 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Getting busy living!

Originally Posted by DangerousDan
For me, non alcoholic beer was a real handy way of having alcohol on my breath.
I would nurse one or two all evening long.
And visit the basement or attic, or anywhere else I was hiding a bottle that particular night.
That's what I did with non alcoholic beer.
Ha! I guess alcoholic minds think alike! That's what my AH did to cover up the real beer he was drinking behind my back when he had supposedly "quit". Didn't fool me. I got wise to him pretty quick.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:24 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Dancing To My Own Beat

I had to realize that each of us, alcoholic or family, has to persue what we think will work in our life. Until we find out what is going to happen, we don't have the experience to know if it will work for us or not. Decisions can be one of two things; a success or a learning experience.

Knowing something is right or wrong for me doesn't come from someone else telling me. I can learn from others experience only if I am in a place that I am ready to believe them. Most of the time I have to suffer the consequences of a wrong decision to know in my heart that it is the wrong one. Enough wrong decisions and I can see that my decision process itself may be wrong. That is when I can listen.

I try (I stress the word try) to keep from interfering with someone else's quest to find what is right for them. I believe that their journey is between them and their Higher Power. It doesn't matter that I believe that they are wrong. It doesn't matter that I don't want them to have to feel the pain of a wrong decision. What matters is that it is their journey and that I respect that.

All I can do is share my experience. Whether someone takes that experience or not is not my responsibility. The 12th step states that we TRIED to carry this message. The Big Book tells me in "Working with Others" that if one person is not receptive, we move on. We don't want to try to force them to see what we are sharing is right. That may spoil our opportunity to help in the future.

Allowing others the dignity to decide for themself is an Al-Anon principle that has helped me immensely. It is the foundation on which better relationships can be based. Hugs, Magic
Old 03-06-2005, 01:22 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Not to change the subject too drastically but what about that decafeindnated coffee? I'm just not having much luck making the switch to complete abstinance from caffeine so I switched to a custom blend of Hazelnut and Max lite.

should I pick up a new keytag?
Old 03-06-2005, 03:13 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

My AH many years ago tried this approach. Like was already mentioned by Dangerous Dan, it can possibly lead to a way to cover up the real thing. Like TomsGirl, my AH used it as a cover up as well. Then when I discovered it, he just simply gave it up to go straight to the regular drinking.
It may work for some people, but I personally wouldn't suggest or recommend it. Between the taste (which is similar to real beer) as well as the whole act of that bottle in hand drinking, down to the easy task of hiding the real beer behind that near bear...I just think it's pretty darn risky.
Just my opinion.
Old 03-06-2005, 10:16 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Concerning the NA beer thing I will say that for me I can't touch it. However my dad who has 17 years sober(20 years drinking) chooses to drink NA beer. Although he isn't drinking the real stuff, I question his peace in life, b/c he displays a lot of dry drunk symptoms. I like what was said about thinking they can control it...when it comes to NA beer. For me the last thing I need is something with alcohol in it to be easy to moderate...I would be gone with the real stuff in an instant. Seems like it would be a way to get that high if I could "control" drinking NA beer. OH well

John
Old 03-07-2005, 02:51 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

I have been around AA and Alanon for many years and the one thing I learned is that neither group swears to be the only way to stay sober or sane. Everyone has to do what works for them and in a way that is what these two groups are about. As for NA I know several people with alot of years of soberity that drink NA beer. As for my husband when I asked him if this was a good thing hesaid if it worked for them good. But, he knew it would not work for him because he didn't drink for the taste he drank for the buzz. And he knew that if he drank 12 NA's he would sat down and figure how many real beers he could drink. Than he would drink how ever many beers that was and pretty soon he would be back to a 12 pk or better a day. I figure that everyone has to go down their own road and if your happy and sober good for you.