What a weekend...

Old 01-23-2005, 08:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What a weekend...

cooped up inside with 2 kids and a newly not drinking husband. TOO cold and snowy to go ANYWHERE...

It has been 7 days since my husband drank. He said tonight that this feels totally different than the last time he stopped for 87 days. He said that then he was an alcoholic who was not drinking and now he is an alcoholic who is trying to learn to be sober.

I am acting totally differently this time as well, taking is WAY seriously. He KNOWS that if he screws up, he is out. And I will stick to it. He agrees with me.

Today I had a bit of a mental breakdown. He left to go out snowplowing with his best friend/drinking buddy at 9. I realized that last week at this time he was out snowplowing and drinking. I called his cell phone and told him that I was NOT dealing well with him being out in the SAME situation. When he got home it was clear to me that he had NOT been drinking and he was furious with his "friend" for not honoring his request to not drinking in front of him. Have I ranted yet, that I HATE this friend? NO...well, we will save that if it comes up again.

Aside from that, all is well. My husband is sharing more and more with me about his feelings and action plans. He had a very long talk on the phone with my father and has come to the realization that if we need to call on my parents for financial help,then we will...that was a hard one.

Tomorrow he has meetings with his therapist and probation officer. And has arranged rides to both of the meetings...not from his "friend".

He is saying and doing all the things that lead me to trust him. Even saying that he realizes how hard it is for me to do that. This is a man I have loved for almost 1/2 of my life and when he is telling me he needs me the most, I am hesitating, I am SHOCKED at myself. Really...shocked. That alone tells me something is different.

I am praying that my car starts, as a warm up is anticipated...or it is another day home with the kids and as much as I love them, if I LOSE at Candyland again, I WILL LOSE my mind.

Jenny
Old 01-23-2005, 08:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Caring for the 3 little bears

Jenny, glad you checked in... been thinking about you loads! Glad to hear things are going okay and not too horribly chaotic. Glad you are able to share your feelings with him and that he seems to be okay with your honesty. That's a big bonus.

I don't want to play concentration or the memory game with my kids ever again... My 5 year old totally beats me... I guess my memory is going - I didn't know demintia started in the early 40's, or else I forgot.

I hope you have a good week!
Old 01-23-2005, 09:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dee at Mt Bully

Jen--Glad that you aren't completely loosing your mind--It's great that you and the AH are talking and it sounds like he has his head in the real world--that's great.
Candy land Huh--with my son it was Dr. suess books and monopoly. We all have
our crosses to bare. Smiles--Dee
Old 01-24-2005, 07:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

jenny - glad to hear that things are going a bit smoother. you can't expect to magically trust again after being let down so many times before. that is something that takes anyone time no matter what the circumstances. be gentle with yourself. i hope both of you continue with your recoveries.

candyland - wow that used to be my most favorite game in the world (as i am an candyholic). thanks for the memories!
Old 01-24-2005, 07:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Jenny - Your post brought tears to my eyes.

You are doing great!!

Jessica
Old 01-24-2005, 08:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

So glad to read your post Jen. It's nice to hear things are going better with you. Keep up the good work and stay strong.

Blessings,
MysticCat
Old 01-24-2005, 08:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Gracey

I dont know how wierd this is going to come out..........but here goes..............

I have stopped worrying about whether or not I can or cant trust him............it only drove me crazy..........I think this goes along with, I cant control him, I cant change him........so this is where I have to decide for myself what I am willing to deal with.......

I am so happy things are going well for you........and i will keep you in my prayers that things continue being positive....in your lives......

Old 01-24-2005, 09:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Jenny

I love it!!! I am so happy you are both doing so well. He has realized the difference between a dry drunk and a recovering A I think that is a huge step.

Try playing Pop Up Pirate it's all about luck and no skills or thinking needed, it also takes only like 1 minute to play!!! I love that game!

Mindi