How do I cope

Old 09-27-2021, 03:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How do I cope

My 37yr old son is dying from cirrhosis caused by alcohol and drug abuse. His gastro doctor has given him 3-6 months and he now has a mass on his liver. He is still drinking! How do I cope watching him do this! My heart is broken.
Old 09-27-2021, 04:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry I have no idea - no words of wisdom but I'm sorry you are sad.
Old 09-27-2021, 04:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am so sorry. It's so difficult.
I can not relate as a mother. But my ex fiance has cirrhosis, and if he drinks again he will die.
If he stays clean he will still need a transplant.
​​​​​​It's all horrible.
I saw the strain it put on his own mother. And how much she worries. It's heart breaking.

I am sorry all I can offer is my weak words. I wish I had wisdom for you, but I am glad you are here. You will find support. And wisdoms from others.
Old 09-27-2021, 04:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Dezran, I'm so sorry this is happening. Do you have the support of an Al Anon group at all?
Old 09-27-2021, 04:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
sage

I am so sorry. I'm not certain what to suggest other than prayer.

This is why I left my XABF, I'd already watched my AH pass away, I couldn't do it again; my son is coming home next week from a treatment center and I'm praying it will be different now. I understand your situation is different, that this is your son. It is heartbreaking.

If you are able to maintain your personal boundaries while spending time with him, perhaps do so. If not, love and pray from a distance. I'm so sorry.
Old 09-28-2021, 03:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am so sorry. I cannot imagine how devastating that diagnosis is for you. As for coping, I imagine the only thing you can do is love him for as long as you have and know that you did nothing to cause the situation. I am so sorry.
Old 09-28-2021, 07:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have no idea either. It's a brutal situation. All I can think of is to lean on your support network through this. I know there's a lot of care and support to be found on here too. We're happy to share stories, or just listen if you need a place to vent.
Old 09-29-2021, 09:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the kind words and thoughts. I have started attending Al-Anon.
Old 09-29-2021, 10:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dezran View Post
Thank you all for the kind words and thoughts. I have started attending Al-Anon.
That's good to hear. I hope you like the group that you have found but if you aren't happy with that meeting there are many others. They say you should try at least 6 meetings to see if it's a fit for you.

Taking care of yourself is so important. It's a sad and traumatic time for you so that's of utmost importance. I know it may not seem appropriate or worth doing right now but I hope you can believe that it is.

As much as possible, eat well, sleep when you can, go out and visit friends and family, even if it's only brief visits. Do you like to walk or play any sport of any kind? Even walking around your neighbourhood for a short time each day can lift your spirits.

Old 09-29-2021, 11:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have no answers but wanted to say how very sorry I am you are going through this.

I found Al-anon to be an enormous help in my journey with an alcoholic husband.